13 years in Cyprus and time for a trip

This week sees our 13th anniversary of our move to Cyprus.

On 26th November 2009 we ran through Gatwick airport desperately trying not to miss our flight to Larnaca with 3 suitcases, 3 cabin cases, a pushchair and car seat, and of course a slightly confused 6 month old Leo! 

Strangely on the 26th November this year I will be flying back to Gatwick for a week's visit for the first time in almost 10 years. (With less baggage, no baby and hopefully not running late this time!)

2019 was an obvious milestone for us, and I wrote about it in my "10 years in Cyprus" post so I will try not to repeat myself by reminiscing on our time here. The last couple of years have been lacking in visitors or major events apart from the obvious so I've not got too much more to add so far. 

You can also read the story of our move here "Let's move to Cyprus" written as we approached our 5th Cyprus anniversary, in which Aaron first brought up the idea of moving whilst we were watching Top Gear. 

We have now lived in this apartment longer than anywhere else in my adult life, I was in my childhood home for 17 years, but from 1997 to 2007 I lived in four different places! 

It seems like a lifetime ago that we moved here now and I can hardly remember what life was like pre Leo and pre-Cyprus.   I think I'm going to be very surprised back in the UK next week.  I can't imagine what it will feel like, driving and shopping and just generally being in another country, let alone the one I grew up in. 

I'm still in contact with a few of my friends in the UK but since I went back for a few days in 2010 we'd spoken very rarely, Nic has been to visit several times in recent years (before covid cocked it all up)  but these last 10 years have been full of changes for everyone with many kids being born between us within that time (plus several from before to be looked after too of course)   plus house moves, job changes, businesses being started and general family 'admin' to tend to. 

Within our group we have children ranging from 5 to 27 years old, even younger if you count the fact that the eldest of those children now has one of their own, making one of us a Grandmother (not that she allows anyone to call her that!)   Between us all there has been countless house moves, multiple relationships, job changes, illness and the many ups and downs that we all trundle on through.

During lockdown we had a few zoom meetups and it was the first time in many years we'd got the chance to catch up,  it's only a 2 hour difference but it can be quite a lot when you add in small children and bedtimes etc, although I am always more than happy for a 10.30pm video chat especially as I can lie in now in the morning if needed. 

It's so hard to properly keep up with everyone and at a distance you don't really get the chance to get past the 'niceties'  of  how are you / oh not bad / could be worse etc. You tend not to go into the details that we once did in person  when you there are such long gaps between them and so much happens. 

I was so happy to catch up with 2 of the girls that I had not seen for a decade, this year when they came over to Cyprus, firstly one of my oldest friends (in time not age!) who was on holiday with her family ( with me getting to meet her husband for the first time in person)  followed by my best drinking buddy / school/ college/ bridesmaid friend Sarah who came on her own for a week in September meaning we got to have an actual holiday of sorts (and needed a serious detox afterwards!) 

Since booking my flights and talking to all of the girls arranging where and when I am seeing them all, I am giddy with excitement!   I've spoken to them all more in the last couple of weeks than I have since I've been here I think.  Many video chats, whatsapp messages and a 3 hour  drinking session phone call with Claire last week have added to the anticipation, that and I'm really looking forward to going shopping! 


two girls making a heart with their hands



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The last one

My best Slimming World recipe EVER! - Cheesy Meatball Pasta Bake

The one with the announcement!