The Christmas Tag

I used to join in with many blog link ups and tags but they either happen less or I read fewer blogs these days.  However I came across this from Life As Kim and thought I'd relive the good ol' blogging days. 


How did you spend last Christmas?

As we usually do, at home with the boys and my parents. For the last few years we've had Christmas at ours rather than my Mum and Dads, they live in the same apartment building so it's not a massive change but as soon as we got a dining table large enough for us to all sit round I declared that Christmas would be ours!

How are you spending this Christmas?

Same as usual,  we are lucky here in Cyprus that although pubs and restaurants are closed until 31st December we are able to meet in groups of up to 10 people in private residences so the 6 of us are fine  and our day will be the same as it would be in a normal year. 

What’s your most memorable Christmas memory?
Well, that's an impossible question as there are just so many.   
I can't really pick one so I'll say one from childhood would be Santa leaving one present by the door rather than under the tree.  I remember being pleased with my presents but then finding out I had yet another one and it was one of the things I most hoped for. 

Also, in a completely different way, going out on Christmas Eve in 2005 with a crowd of us dressed in Santa outfits, dancing till the early hours to Christmas songs with a countdown to midnight like it was NYE.  At that moment I declared it better than New Year as you still had it all to come, I thought it was the way forward for Christmas celebrations..... however the hangover on Christmas morning meant I never did it again! 


On Christmas Eve, what do you leave out for Santa?

Whisky and mince pie, plus a carrot for Rudolph.     None of this milk and cookies crap here - and don't even try to tell me he can't get drunk in charge of the sleigh,  the reindeer have it all under control.

Do you have any other Christmas eve Traditions?

We started our Snuggle Sack many years ago, before Christmas Eve boxes became the 'must have' that they seem to be now.  The boys open the sack early evening, get changed into their pyjamas and we watch a film with snacks before putting out the whisky and mince pie for Santa and then they go off to bed. 

What is your favourite Christmas movie?

I'm not the biggest fan of films and there are very few that I rewatch, but as I've seen Love Actually a few times I'll probably go with that as my favourite Christmas movie. 

What is your favourite Christmas song?

I love so many, but my all time favourite is Fairytale of New York.  I also really like this by Si Cranstoun though as its a lot more unusual.




What do you eat on Christmas day?
Crumpets for breakfast, I love them and I brought them once a few years ago as a treat as they are so expensive here and it kinda became a tradition to have them once a year. 

We have a turkey dinner with the trimmings,  stuffing, pigs in blankets, braised red cabbage, cauliflower cheese, sausage meat, brussels, peas and honey glazed carrots.    We also always have 'smiley faces' potato shapes and sausages as once that was all the boys would eat - Leo happily has enbraced the proper dinner these days, we are hoping Louka will too one day!

Do you wear Christmas jumpers?

Yes, but only in recent years.  It seems that it's only over the last few years that its became a thing that everyone does and they were really hard to find in Cyprus at first.  

What is your favourite decoration in your home?

We have as singing Santa that we've had for years now that Leo danced to in his baby walker but I've just treated my self to a Gnome this year so he's my new favourite. 



Is your Christmas tree real or fake?

Fake,  I've never had a real one and I wouldn't want one.  I prefer the look of a good fake tree and it's just so much easier than getting a new one, dealing with needles etc and then having to get rid of it afterwards. 

Do you like Egg Nog?

I'm pretty sure I don't like it,  I can't think of a specific time of trying it but I'm sure I have at some point. 

Have you ever gone Christmas carolling?

Just once, when I was in the Brownies we sang, at our local shops all stood round a postbox (not sure why but that particular memory of it always comes to mind) 

Have you ever built a gingerbread house?

No, I would really like to attempt it once day just so I can say I have but I am pretty sure it will be a disaster, the kids will either be not interested or I try and take over too much, or I will do it myself and not be able to use them as an excuse for it looking terrible,  and I'm pretty sure no-one would actually like the gingerbread anyway.  So every time I see the kits in the shops I think about getting one but decide it would be a waste of money.

What is your all-time favourite Christmas food?

Christmas dinner,   no, cheese, pate and biscuits,  nope, Choc Chesnut pudding.... aargh  why would you make me choose a favourite??

Who cooks the Christmas meal?

It's a joint effort,  Mum cooks the turkey,  Aaron makes the gravy and I do the rest.  I prepare as much as possible in advance and then I enjoy putting it all together with a glass of wine by my side and my Christmas tunes blaring out. 

Are you a last minute shopper or are you organised?

Both,  I am organised and could be ready for Christmas usually at any point from early December onward, but I'm always adding to the presents right up until the last minute with things I come across and chuck in the shopping like sweets or smellies just because I think ooh they'd like that and I try and justify it by saying it's inexpensive and they'd have / use it anyway. 
 
What gifts do you want for Christmas this year?

I hate this question as there is always so much and nothing at the same time.  I realise that doesn't make sense but it's so hard to answer especially when I don't want people to spend money that is needed elsewhere.     I would really like some bubble bath though!

Are you good at buying gifts for others?

I assume so, no one has ever complained! 

Do you prefer giving or receiving gifts on Christmas?

Both!  I am always excited about giving people their presents, especially the boys but I happily admit I do love receiving them too! 

What was your favourite gift you’ve received for Christmas?

Wow, another really hard question!   I loved my doll 'Violet' I received when I was little, and a Magic set I received a different year,   as an adult I would say at the time it was the huge and heavy first four seasons of Friends on VHS video, when I'd only watched the first season at that point.   

Worst Present you’ve ever received?

I've not had many but I did receive an usual looking belt from my Uncle one year that I couldn't even work out what it was initially.  It wasn't helped by the fact that wasn't there to give it to me and had sent it over from America, to make it worse my Dad was filming me open it (new camcorder for Christmas so was filming everything)  and he caught my confused expression on camera,  it was a lovely thought but I never did wear the belt.

What is your favourite thing about Christmas?

Nope, another question I can't answer - I love it all, the actual day, Christmas Eve, Boxing day,  the run up - buying and wrapping presents, baking, Christmas events, meet ups, parties, just all of it! 

Have you ever celebrated Christmas in another culture?

If you count the fact we've been in Cyprus for 11 years then yes but we haven't changed the way we celebrate other than the fact I now class this as a song I have to hear to make it feel like Christmas along with the others.



What makes Christmas special for you?

Being with my family.

What would be your dream place to spend Christmas?

If I had to choose somewhere other than at home,  I'd say in a luxury log cabin but only if I had lots of people there, and every single luxury item you can think of plus all the food and drink I love.     

What’s your one Christmas wish?

That everyone I love stays happy and healthy and that 2021 is all that they hope for. 





What would be your Christmas wish?



         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The last one

My best Slimming World recipe EVER! - Cheesy Meatball Pasta Bake

13 years in Cyprus and time for a trip