Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Our alternative Christmas Pudding

Nothing says 'Christmas Desert' quite like a good old Christmas pudding but unfortunately I cannot stand them!    Without meaning to be difficult I also dislike Traditional Christmas Cake, and only realised that I like mince pies in the last couple of years,   this meant that Christmas day desert when I was younger meant Yule log  (always too dry)   or Arctic Roll (good but didn't really say Christmas to me!)

Until I met Aaron that is and we realised that we both dislike Christmas Cake and pudding, along with his brother and sister.  He then introduced me to his Mum's alternative Christmas pudding she has made for years now, which I promptly adopted and have used every year since.

Christmas is now NOT Christmas without Chocolate Chestnut pudding - (I've yet to see chestnut puree in the shops here but so far I've got someone to bring us a tin out each year!) 

Christmas pudding, chocolate
The first year my Mother in law introduced it as 'Chocolate Pudding'  rather than 'Chocolate Chestnut Pudding'  knowing that the children were more than likely to be put off by the mention of chestnuts!  We have done the same many times since making it ourselves!

It's one of the simplest deserts I've come across, if not the healthiest.... but it's Christmas so who cares!

All you need is.....

4oz (100g) unsalted butter
4oz (100g) Caster suger
1 tin unsweetened chestnut puree
12 oz (300g) plain chocolate

Cream together the butter and sugar, add the chestnut puree and mix.
Melt chocolate, add to the mixture, and mix thoroughly

Leave to set in the fridge.


If you want to turn it out of the bowl you let it set in make sure you line it with cling film or you're never get it out in one piece!   We usually make it to look like a Christmas pudding, and melt white chocolate over the top, but we have also made it in a loaf tin before as well. 

Our is always served with squirty cream and tinned mandarins..... this is very important!





No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails