Mummy on the Move - A Halloween twist on Elf on the Shelf
How much magic happens in your house?
Does the Tooth Fairy visit? Is the Easter Bunny an annual visitor?
Does Santa leave magical snowy footprints, eat mince pies and drink whisky? (He ALWAYS has mince pies and whisky - no cookies and milk here!)
Will you have carrots left out for hungry sleigh pullers or sparkly reindeer food scattered outside on Christmas Eve?
Do you have a magical Elf that sits on your shelf, and gets up to all kinds of mischief throughout December?
I'm sure it varies but the Easter Bunny passes us by - luckily I'm always on hand to supply chocolate eggs. The Tooth Fairy is pretty reliable here - only missing one tooth collection due to being ever so busy that night, and of course Santa wouldn't miss his whisky and mince pies in exchange for a couple of stockings here.
No Elf for us though, it was questioned once as to why someone else had an Elf and I dodged the issue by being really surprised and saying I had absolutely no idea it was even possible, I'd never had a magic Elf and the boys just kind of shrugged it off and it was never mentioned again. Luckily here in Cyprus Santa and elves are not really a big thing and not talked about much, they probably only know one family that has one.
I can't remember how old Leo was when I first heard about the 'Elf on the Shelf' Initially I thought it was an awesome idea and would be fun but I wasn't able to find an Elf here in Cyprus, and as fun as it seemed I did think it would end up being more hassle than it would be worth. Leo was always very questioning about everything and Santa is one thing but a magical Elf that appears for a month and moves about - if anything it seemed a little creepy!
I am glad that I we never had an Elf arrive, but last year I did have a sudden pang that we'd missed out. Luckily for us though there was no need to worry as this little guy has just arrived...
Meet Mordy the Mummy.
This little dude has arrived and will be with us until Halloween, who knows what he will get up to - I'm not quite sure yet!
There's no pretense of magic with him, Leo at 11 will think I have completely lost the plot if I try to pull that off (and knowing Louka he will too). But I sure they will appreciate him, or at least humor me!
Halloween was never a thing for us when I was young, people used to talk about Trick or Treating but I never knew anyone who actually did it. We asked but none of my friends were allowed, it just wasn't the done thing then. There was no fancy dress or parties, Fireworks night was the thing we looked forward to.
Since having the boys we have celebrated Halloween to different degrees over the years, starting with our first party in 2010 and many more since then. Halloween is not generally celebrated in Cyprus, much like back in the UK as I was growing up but there are a few events that happen and you can buy Halloween items in some shops now. In recent years we have trick or treated around our apartments - by prior arrangement with a few neighbours and then just had a few games and food at ours afterwards.
I'm sure its due to the sweets (or candy as they insist on calling it, and it's the only time of the year I permit them to!) but the boys really look forward to Halloween each year so I'm thinking they will love Mordy's arrival and the countdown to Candy day!
Of course you could have a magical mummy, but I love the idea that we get the fun of elf on the shelf without the subterfuge and the pressure, plus I'm not sure the idea of a 'live' mummy that moves about the house will sit well with the boys - I'm sure others will LOVE that idea though!
You can follow the adventures of our Mordy and his friends on our facebook page and on Instagram - just search #MummyOnTheMove or follow me at @emsyjo
To get your own 'Mummy on the Move' visit Tiny Acorns Creativity or you can find Mummy on the Move on Instagram.




Comments
Post a Comment