Girls day out

In July I had a great day out with the girls, this time a birthday present for Sam, in fact it was a present from Lucy but Rachel and I got to tag along too so it was a bonus for us! 

It was great to have a day out that I had no part in arranging at all.  I had a vague idea of one of the places we were to stop at but the rest was just as much of a mystery to me as it was to Sam.   

First stop was just off the Larnaca - Limassol highway just before the village of Klavdia to see the wind turbines.  This is something that Sam has wanted to do for ages and she was absurdly excited about it.   I do admit it was pretty cool though, and not something I would have ever even considered doing so it was great. 

The turbines are really difficult to get a photo of, especially to demonstrate just how big they are.  Below you can see Sam standing at the base of one. 


Next stop, Panagia Stazousa,  a medieval monastery in the village of Klavdia itself.  We had come prepared with cover ups assuming that we would need to be covered to enter.  The sign said visitors must be modestly dressed and so we assumed (correctly ) that our shorts and bare shoulders would be disrespectful. 

The monastery was built in the 14th century and today is serviced by the monks of the Stavrouni monastery.  

There is small cave in the side of the rocks alongside the main building containing several icons. 



The inside of the church surprised me after seeing painted ceilings for so many years here.  this reminded me of the kind of church you would find in the UK. 






There is a smaller chapel also worth a look just down the hill past the main monastery as well as a spring which is said to be healing.  

I didn't drink the 'healing water' myself,  but it didn't seem to make any sudden difference to Sam! 








Our next stop was Agia Thekla Monastery, which is just outside the village of Mosfiloti in Larnaca. 

I didn't take any photos here as there were signs strictly forbidding it - a quick google search and it seems that most people ignore the signs but still it seemed disrespectful to do so - also I was scared to be told off!

Image credit - Pixabay

The monastery was originally built by Saint Helen, to honour the Martyr Saint Thekla. After struggling with thirst St Helen prayed to God to show her where she could find water and it is said that he led her to this spot and so this is where she decided to build.  The Holy Spring that she drank from is located beneath the church. 

The ashes of Agia (Saint) Thekla are held here and many Pilgirms visit them to receive their healing power, it is also believed that there is healing clay to be found nearby said to cure many skin conditions. 



Our day did not end here although it did become a little more of a mystery tour after we stopped for lunch but that's more for another post!

Click here for part two Abandoned Theme Park and a Dry river bed


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The last one

My best Slimming World recipe EVER! - Cheesy Meatball Pasta Bake

The one with the announcement!