The Summer of the beach?
So 2020 isn't working out quite as I imagined back in January but we are doing fine and muddling through.
On one hand it seems like not much has gone on this year, certainly it has been quieter than expected, however looking back through my camera roll it is surprisingly full of beach photos.
We have been to the beach more so far this year than we usually manage, partly because they have been quieter than usual, assuming you pick your beach and the time you visit it well. Also because I am appreciating the fact the we are able to, that we are healthy enough to, and that we have opportunity, and because it is a cheap outing with a bag of snacks and drinks from home.
In almost 11 years I had only been to a handful of beaches round here, something that always bothered me because I'm just so nosy and want to see everything.
I love the beach - when I'm there, but only for a short period of time. I couldn't imagine spending a whole day on one now like back in my pre-kids holidaying years, but that was different because you had to make the very most of the opportunity knowing that within 2 weeks you'd be back at work with no guarantee of sun for another year.
The boys are not really big fans of the beach, although they usually enjoy it when they are there, they are often not enthused when I say we are going, unless they know there will be friends or food there! I drive them crazy by telling them how much of a treat it was to go to 'the coast' when I was a child and how we would drive an hour or more to get there, how we are so lucky that we have such beautiful beaches, clear seas and soft sand. Of course they are lucky but they know no difference and showing them photos of UK beaches is as relevant to them as looking at Caribbean beaches would have been to me, it's a far away place you have no real concept of.
So I am so lucky that we can just 'pop' to the beach for an hour and this year I am trying not to take it for granted, I think of all the people who had holidays cancelled and are unable to visit now, or those who cannot afford are are unable to travel abroad.
I am even luckier that I can go to the beach on my own should I wish. Recently I went to a beach I'd never been to before all by myself, I did ask the boys if they wanted to join me and they asked me what it was like, is the sand good? is the sea rocky? is it going to be busy? When I said I couldn't answer those question yet as I'd not been they decided to stay home with Dad..... awesome!
This is Limnara beach, on the outskirts of Agia Napa. It is not so obvious as many of the other beaches, in fact I drove past the sign post for it despite having google maps on and driving past it for many years.
I walked a little, it is roasting so not as far as I would have liked but once the weather cools down I will resume my coastal walks I had been doing before lockdown.
I had a little swim and then I sat in the shade to dry off before going home. I also 'worked' by going live on the FPN facebook page to share the sound of the sea.
The following week I suddenly announced to the boys that we were going to the beach, Glyki Nero beach in Agia Napa. Another new one for us and they were going to be coming with me whether they liked it or not. It was risky due to two recent 'failed' beach trips (one for another post) but it was a huge success.
The sand passed their very high criteria - soft, not gravelly, good for digging.
The sea was 'the right temperature' rocky in places but easy enough to avoid and best of all, had good waves!
Louka was happy as he dug (with a little help) the 'biggest hole ever'
We stayed almost two hours, quite a long time for the 3 of us and they both agreed it was a brilliant beach trip.
Now we just need to keep up the beach habit because it's usually worth it when we get there, and I will regret if we don't come winter or a second lock down!




Comments
Post a Comment