The one where we've not done nothing

I last published a blog post on here at the end of March.  The Cyprus lockdown had begun but had not yet reached the strictest measures. 

What a strange time the last couple of months have turned out to be, a time that none of us could have predicted or even imagined just a short while ago. 

Like many others I was full of plans, ways to keep busy, and making lists of educational online activities, home schooling plans and fun family activities to do. Exercise plans, jobs around the house and work.  I was going to blog!  (I always say that, but I do still miss the ol' blogging days) 

I've not done everything, but I've not done nothing either.

While it hasn't all been wall to wall productive time, I'm doing pretty well I think, I'm sure others out there are 'doing better' but I'm even more sure there are many doing worse..... and by worse I don't mean doing less productive things, but fighting with some sort of guilt that they are not 'doing enough'. 

There has been much said about what you 'should' be doing and I'm so bored of it. What you SHOULD be doing is trying to not completely lose the plot, and to come out the other side of this being ok... or ok as you possibly can. 

Whatever is the thing that keeps you going, whether that means being productive, or not, cleaning or crafting, exercising or eating or whatever, just do that.  In an ideal world I suppose it's a bit of all of those things in moderation, I mean, for me NOT crafting... when that happens you need to send me help as that means I have finally lost the plot. 

I read something a while ago that said something about if you don't come out of this pandemic having learnt a new skill or having done something you've been putting off due to lack of time,  then you didn't lack time, you lacked motivation.   It was widely attacked for being thoughtless and not helpful, for making people feel bad.  I did agree with it on first appearance though,  but I don't see it as being something to 'make you feel bad'  but I do love a motivational quote, and 'lack of time' is an over used reason / excuse for not doing something,   after all you can usually make at least a little time for something that is important enough to you.    Just don't beat yourself up about it - do it or don't! 

(Not including of course those who literally have no extra time at the moment!) 

For us there have been days where I've stood on the balcony staring randomly into space wishing I could go somewhere else,  days where I've done lots of exercise and been a domestic goddess, days where I have cleaned cupboards and anything that stays still long enough and days where I've done nothing but scrolled mindlessly through social media and played on the Xbox whilst eating too much,    

With the boys we've walked, played cards,and board games, watched TV, baked,  ignored each other for hours and hours on end while on our own devices,  danced, laughed and as much I really hate the over used expression... we have 'made memories'   The boys have said they will remember this as a time that totally sucked but also was unique and had a few shining moments in it.  

We have a memory jar, given to me from my Secret Santa last year,  and we have continued adding slips of paper with happy moments from the lock down. 

Home school sucks,  but we are surviving.  I very quickly abandoned the ambitious ideas of sticking to school hours and creating educational activities to fill the gaps once the work sent from school had run out.  The boys were quick to realise that these bits were set by me and resisted quite adamantly! 

We have all had good and bad days throughout this time,  just like always but it all seems a little more concentrated right now, but we are getting there.  Hopefully not too long before normality resumes. 

Dance in the rain





Comments

  1. I love that you have that quote on your balcony wall. We've also been very laid back about it all. I had bog plans at the beginning but I quickly reverted to type. My DD is going back to school tomorrow. What's the situation in Cyprus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the restrictions are being lifted tomorrow and schools are going back, although in quite a strange way and for only a total of 12 days between now and the end of June and the school year. We have decided, not to send them for various reasons.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The last one

My best Slimming World recipe EVER! - Cheesy Meatball Pasta Bake

13 years in Cyprus and time for a trip