We love cake!
I'm not as good as I imagined I would be, finding new and interesting activities for Leo and I to do, the problem I think is the lack of patience (erm, that would be mine not his!) so I've been putting it off really, the whole cooking together thing, but recently we made Choc Cornflake cakes and it went surprisingly well so encouraged by Jenny's 'I Love Cake' linky and competition I decided to take the plunge and do some proper cooking with him...
We went for the simple option and made Queen Cupcakes.
115g butter
115g caster sugar
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
4tsp lemon juice
175g self raising flour
115g currants
2-4 tbsp milk if necessary
Pre-heat oven to 190c,
Weigh out all ingredients before letting toddler loose in kitchen
Mix butter and sugar until you get bored then hand to Mum to mix until light and fluffy,
Then beat in eggs and 1 tbsp of flour..
Pourin far too much lemon juice (when Mum gives you the bottle expecting you to understand what she means by 'put in just a drop'.)
Fold in remaining flour with a wooden spoon laughing hysterically as is goes everywhere and the currants adding a little milk if needed.
Spoon into paper cases and bake for 15-20 minswhilst staring at oven saying 'cake ready now?' until well-risen and golden brown.
Leave to cool whilst explaining to toddler they are still too hot to eat.
We went for the simple option and made Queen Cupcakes.115g butter
115g caster sugar
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
4tsp lemon juice
175g self raising flour
115g currants
2-4 tbsp milk if necessary
Pre-heat oven to 190c,
Weigh out all ingredients before letting toddler loose in kitchen
Mix butter and sugar
Then beat in eggs and 1 tbsp of flour..
Pour
Fold in remaining flour with a wooden spoon l
Spoon into paper cases and bake for 15-20 mins
Leave to cool whilst explaining to toddler they are still too hot to eat.
All in all it went very well, no tantrums from either of us. I asked him afterwards what we did and he gave me a very good descriptive run down so he was paying attention. Only problem was half hour later he came up to me and said 'Make cakes again now Mummy?'

Wahay, well done you! They look fab.
ReplyDeleteGlad you both enjoyed the baking. It is great fun, isn't it with children!
ReplyDeleteI love baking with my boys, its a great way to pass a rainy afternoon or to amuse them if off school and not well. We are now at the decorating stage and the boys seem to love this bit even more. I have recently got into cake decorating myself and now the boys want to get creative with sugar paste! Its messy but fun and of course they end up on a huge sugar high but the compromise is they can use sugar paste on one bun each, and do normal icing on the others. Enjoy your cooking together x
ReplyDeleteI was lucky to get a cake, thank you Leo, it was very yummy!!!
ReplyDeleteAwww that's a lovely cake making post. I always dread baking with Burton but then so far he has always been really well behaved!., surprising really! Mmm I bet those cakes were yummy. I love your method with the things that really happened v's what the cook book says lol
ReplyDeleteThanks for entering Emma and Leo and good luck x
thanks for linking your recipe up, we should all cook naked!
ReplyDeleteThat depends on what you're cooking, don't fancy getting splattered with bacon fat or something lol
ReplyDelete