Tuesday, 29 November 2011

It's still all Greek to me!

Regular readers of my blog will know that I'm in the process of learning Greek, I have been learning it on and off for several years now but have struggled to get into a regular pattern of studying.  When I received my Rosetta Stone TOTALe software back in July I was very excited (I really was, I believe I may have tried to put Leo to bed an hour early.... it didn't work!)  and threw myself straight into it, doing a little almost every night and scheduling Studio sessions whenever I could.

Included with the TOTALe package is 3 months subscription to the online services, and when this ran out I think my motivation left with it!  In the similar way to going to an actual Slimming World class helped me to lose weight the live sessions ensured I kept up with the lessons and didn't start to skip days. The thought that you have one booked and you are going to be having a 50 minute conversation in Greek makes me much more inclined to get on with it!

Rosetta Stone have kindly offered me further on-line access to the Studio Sessions and other on-line content so I've eagerly booked up my next two sessions, one tomorrow and one at the weekend..... I've gone back to basics and am choosing to re-do Level 1 and 2 rather than the Level 4 that I had got to as I've been slacking for so long I'm reinforcing my knowledge of the early stuff. 

I'm determined to stick with it this time, not only will I need to speak the language when Leo goes to school but now I'm working I'm dealing with locals on a daily basis and often making phone calls to people who don't speak English very well, or at all - in times like that I really need to be able to say more than 'I'd like 2 beers please'   (even though that's almost definitely what I'd be wanting!)

Amatterofchoice

I'd also like to say how impressed I was with Rosetta Stone support, (and for not pointing out how stupid I was when it turned out I was typing the activation code in incorrectly  *bangs head on keyboard*)    When I couldn't find the answer to my problem on the website, I spoke to an on-line support guy for an hour who did some techy stuff and fixed the first problem.   Then the following day after discovering I had a problem with the new activation code, swearing at the laptop for a while and them giving up with the hump R.S called, remotely accessed my computer and sorted it all out in a few minutes.

I'm now all good to go again.....    

3 comments:

  1. My OH and I had always planned to move to Greece and so we started taking Greek lessons - I really enjoyed it.  But when it came to it we ended up moving to France!  Luckily I had O level French, but it was really rusty!  After 7 years I get by, but whenever we go to Spain (which is only an hour away from where we live), I find myself slipping into greek.  I'm sure the Spanish are completely baffled by someone driving a French car, speaking Greek in Spain with an English accent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Efkharisto - that's all the Greek I know and I can't even remember if it's please or thank you. My Hebrew is far from fluent (after 24 years in Israel). I can get by but it does remove you a bit from being 100% part of the culture. If there is one piece of advice I would push to a new expat, it would be to become totally comfortable with the language. It is the key to everything. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea St.Pierre9 October 2012 at 20:26

    Lovely blog.happy to have come across it...very from the heart!!! totally had to join in the fun here!!!
    tight hugs from the UK.london

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails