Sunday, 12 June 2011

New life = New language

It is often said you can do anything if you set your mind to it. It's been said to me many times and a friend of mine once told me that I was really good at doing 'big things' I have found though that for me there has to be something to help me get my head into it, when I lost weight I could never have done it without Slimming World even though I really wanted to do it and when I started blogging it was the linkups and memes that really got me in the swing of things.

So I am very excited to have received my copy of Rosetta Stone's Greek Language course, I think this will be the catalyst that gets me in the habit of scheduling regular slots of time to do the lessons and finally progress my knowledge of Greek beyond "Hello, two beers please, thank you"

Rosetta Stone has recently launched the next generation of its language software - Version 4 TOTALe (pronounced tow-tally) I have been lusting after this product for a while as I had several years ago had used a previous version and not only picked up a fair bit (which left my head with the arrival of 'babybrain') but unlike many of the other language books/cds/software I actually enjoyed using it.

The reason it works so well for me is what they call the 'Dynamic Immersion method' which means you learn your new language in the same way you learnt your first one. There is no translation or memorisation and it teaches you to think in your new language by connecting the words you are hearing with the images on the screen in different contexts,  eg. The man has the ball / the man is throwing the ball.

After receiving the product yesterday I spent the rest of the day trying to tire Leo out so I could get stuck in after his bedtime. I loaded it all up and was immediately impressed with the differences between the older version and this one.   I have Levels 1, 2 and 3 which comes with a microphone and headset, it was really easy to set up, especially once I had stopped trying to type in the wrong activation code (I spent 20 minutes swearing at my laptop until I realised I was trying to type in a completely different thing to the number with 'activation code written next to it - turns out 'babybrain has not left yet!)

I did the first lesson, and got 98% - check me out I'll be down the local taverna chatting with the locals before you know it :)

Another difference to the previous versions is the online features which due to a very hot and unsettled toddler yesterday evening I am yet to discover - hopefully I'll be delving into them over the weekend!

I'm so excited to be starting a proper plan of action for learning, especially as Leo is picking up so many new words every day, and as I learn more I can teach him new words in both languages.  Just by having the audio companion CD playing this morning he was repeating words from it, completely unprompted by me and as it's very child friendly when he learns to stop hitting my laptop with things we can do the program together!

Amatterofchoice




*This is not a sponsored post, I have been sent the language course to review but have not received any other compensation, the views and opinions are all my own.

3 comments:

  1. I'm rather jealous, I've lusted after Rosetta Stone courses since before I moved to Spain. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can put your mind to something, your half way there. My mum always said - if there's a will, there's a way. Enjoy your new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for learning a new language! If you want to learn, it will be easier, otherwise forget it. I'm so glad I know Spanish, I was able to experience things I normally would not have been able to experience by being the only bilingual employee at the Police/Fire department. It made me a more valuable asset to the city as well. Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress. 

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails