Tuesday, 18 November 2014

A heart of gold!

People have asked me why I blog and it's a question I still struggle to answer, I like to create a record of things we've been up to, but of course I could have started a scrapbook or even just not hit publish and shared it with everyone.

Maybe it  because I like to think that maybe I can make a difference, that is the reason I have run the 'Discovering Cyprus', 'Birth in Cyprus and 'All Greek to me' sections on this blog, and why I love running the Famagusta Parents Network - I hope it can do some good for the area and help people along the way.

I spend a huge amount of time online, between the two blogs, and the other places I write for,  as well as the other things I seem to get myself into to - being on the social team at Slimming World, setting up facebook pages, arranging coffee mornings and fun days, and nearly all of it is of no financial benefit to me  - considering we need to eat and stuff it's sometimes a wonder why I do it all.    But I do, and I love it - going to the pub is not as easy as it used to be,  television is rubbish - Arabic, Greek or buffering too much to be able to watch it  so this is what I do, and I just love it!

What really makes it worthwhile though is knowing that it is appreciated, and knowing that I've helped someone - maybe told them about a good day out, or how to find some information they need. Knowing that I am actually making a difference.

So, you can maybe imagine how excited I was to discover that I have been nominated for the 'Heart of Gold' award at the next Daxi Business Awards!!!

It's a well known fact that only bloggers comment on blogs, so the FPN website has almost none, facebook has stats, but we all know they don't mean much so generally we carry on doing what we do regardless without really knowing if anyone is interested. It's so lovely to be recognised that I am actually doing a 'thing'


The Heart of Gold award is unrelated to business. It is awarded to an individual person rather than a company of group. Someone who gives selflessly to others for no personal gain, someone who dedicates their time, resources and physical efforts to help others regardless of their own personal circumstances.  


I was really looking forward to the event anyway having attended the previous two Daxi award ceremonies, and last year sat on a winners table with our friends who won the 'Best Newcomer' award for 'Blood Brothers' Tattoo and Piercing studio in Agia Napa.  Its a great excuse to get all dressed up and have a child free evening and being nominated for an award is the 'icing on the cake' I'm up against some great people - including one of my best friends so it's definitely all about the taking part!



For more information on the Daxi Awards you can find the details on the Famagusta Parents Network website or at daximagazine.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails