Wednesday, 17 November 2010

The Gallery - Before and After

When I saw this weeks Gallery prompt I may have had a little moan at the timing of it, the prompt was "Before and After" For the last few years I've often shown my before and after pictures but I used them both in  my Slimming World post.

So I got thinking and when that didn't help I started browsing through my old pictures and came up with my gorgeous dogs.  Well, I say mine but they were both working police dogs - a fact I was often reminded of as a child when I tried to teach them pointless tricks or ask to walk them. 

Traka, (the black one) was my Dad's 3rd police dog, as he approached retirement (the dog, not my Dad!) Dad was allocated a puppy to train as his successor. This was way back in 1994 and I was beside myself with excitement when he brought the little ball of fluff that was Acer home.


After Acer had his training, Traka retired and we got to keep him as a pet dog. (and I got to finally take a dog for a walk on my own!) He was a little confused  initially seeing this young bouncy thing going off with his Dad every day but settled into the retirement well and had another good couple of years with us. 




It could have been quite a handful with two fully grown German shepherds in the house but they were well behaved and got on very well. After Traka passed away I think it took Acer a while to get used to being the only one. Till the end of his days he always left a little bit of his dinner which I think must have been for Traka as from the beginning he always used to sneak in and finish it off!


There's some great Gallery entries this week, why not pop over to Sticky Fingers and have a look.

12 comments:

  1. Now I know I am a soppy old thing, that little bit about Acer leaving a little of his dinner made me choke up. How lovely! They look gorgeous dogs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely story with great photos. That's so sweet how Acer always left some dinner for his friend once he passed away. Dogs are very intelligent aren't they? Great take on this weeks theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy reading your blog, partly because they give me someone else's perspective as a Brit that has upped sticks and now calls somewhere else "home".

    I have created a site which features the burblings of blogging Brits living abroad at http://transplanted.collected.info/

    As part of this, I have included a link to your posts. I hope you don't mind.

    If you'd prefer me to delete this link, please let me know, and I shall remove it straight away.

    Thanks a lot!
    Mandi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet and a great little story. I'll come back and visit. I too, am a dog person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story and Acer looks like he is about to do something a little bit mischievous. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great friends Traka and Acer were and I expect, still are. They enriched are lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, the little bit of dinner really tugged at my heartstrings! Lovely photos:) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was just looking at your profile- my daughter was also born in May 2009!
    Great blog!
    Following from the hop... you can join me at Dinner With Kir or come visit at my new blog, The Review Revue. I look forward to your visit!
    ~Kir

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower via Friday Blog Hop :)
    Jen @ My Secret Home

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emma!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the award... how absolutely blinking lovely. Have saved it and it is lurking in my file, but will be dusted down and polished and put up as soon as I have a moment to do it with some degree of pleasure, and NOT when surrounded by children and husband all clamouring for food!! Thanks so much!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I am a new GFC follower from Friendly Friday Follow.
    http://grammyjanetsplace.blogspot.com/

    Thanks for sharing about Traka and Acer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your bog im following now


    http://www.raisingnormalkids.com

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails