Friday, 26 May 2017

The last few days, and the first. (Flashback Friday)

This time 8 years ago, I was still in England,  very heavily pregnant in fact I was almost 2 weeks past my due date.  I was impatient although I tried to appreciate the last few days before the baby's arrival like everyone kept telling me to.  It was a strange in-between time,  not yet dealing with a newborn, but not able to do much else in the meantime, too uncomfortable to drive, to sit still for long,  or to stand for too long.   Very tired  (or so I thought at the time!)  but unable to sleep well.

At 35 weeks
We were living with my parents in between selling our own house and moving to Cyprus,  so I was enjoying not having to do much around the house other than arrange myself between tons of cushions with snacks and a DVD box set,  yet also wanting to not live out of boxes and to settle in our own place.    It was a really strange, wanting to get on with so many things but also unable to quite imagine how everything would soon be changing so dramatically.


This came up in my facebook memories at the end of 2009,  it was quite a year!

Maybe I'm remembering it differently now but it was quite a nice time, relaxing and quiet, but I guess that is because I can now compare it to the sleepless nights and the never ending stuff that comes after.  Maybe its because I can compare the last few weeks of my first pregnancy with my second which were quite different.

I wrote about the lead up to the birth  and the birth itself but not for several years afterwards, what I didn't mention is much about the day before. I think I was due to be induced on the 29th May (I'm not 100% sure now!) and on the 28th I'd woken up early in the morning with what I assume were mild contractions.   I called the maternity department and they advised me to keep an eye on them but if nothing much else happened to call them at 9pm to see if they had a bed free to take me in to be induced.

It seemed a bit odd to me, and I kind of hoped that it would all kick off during the day so we could get on with it, but nothing much happened and in fact I think it had all stopped by dinner time.  I called as requested and they asked if anything was happening,  when I said no, they asked me to call again just before 11pm.

I did, they had a bed and they told me to come in!

It was the strangest thing,  not knowing until that point whether I should be about to leave for the hospital or go to bed.

It still seems a bit odd to me to go in at that time of night, but we left for the hospital and I remember phoning my friend on the way,  telling her that I was about to go and have a baby!

As I was induced with both boys I do wonder what it is like to go into labour unexpectedly,  it's a really strange feeling just getting in the car to go out knowing that you will have a baby in the next few hours.

Waiting for the induction is just as strange, laying on the bed perfectly comfortable thinking any minute now its all going to start, and actually, I'm not sure I'm up for this!  I could hear another woman in full labour screaming her head off and it suddenly dawned on me that I  it wasn't going to be a good few hours.

Luckily at the time I had no idea it would be almost 12 hours as I think I might have tried to do a runner!

After Leo was born and Aaron went home to get washed and changed I think I was in a state of shock, I held him and looked at him, not really sure what to say or do,  I rung another friend who hadn't known I'd gone to be induced yet and she was at the shop buying milk, I'll never forget her asking me how I was for me to reply, well I've just had a baby!   She was obviously very excited and but quite surprised when she asked what time he was born for me to reply, about an hour ago!

The very first photo

I hated being in hospital,  of course I was in pain, and but I just didn't know what to do with myself.  I would pick Leo up and sit for ages looking at him, thinking what shall I do now! I chatted to him about god knows what and felt a bit daft especially as he hardly opened his eyes at all.  (I'd had pethidine late in labour and I think it made him sleepy, he slept for pretty much 2 whole days)

I went home almost 24 hours after Leo was born, and the first few days home are a bit of a blur.  I know we had visitors the day I got home and the next two days,  which I kind of regretted afterwards as Leo slept the whole time but I felt I had to be up and talking to them when really I'd have been much better catching up on sleep - I think I've only just caught up now 8 years later!

It all seems like such a long time ago now,  but I guess it is,  8 years already!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails