Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Fun day Sunday!

I've been to many events here in Cyprus, some good, many bad but usually leave muttering how easy it would be to improve them in some way. So when I was was offered a venue to hold my own just after I had set up the Famagusta Parents Network I jumped at the chance to do just that!

As a child I loved the school fetes, Brownie fairs and enjoyed getting involved in them. (I helped at Brownies for many years after I actually left!) and my ideas for the event I guess were based on those. I knew I wanted to have things for the children to do, and that if they were happy, the parents would be happy.  I knew I wanted to promote and support local businesses and I wanted to raise money in the process for a local charity.

From the idea it might happen to the day itself was just 6 weeks, some people mentioned this wasn't very long - I shrugged and said it would be fine!

And it was!


The support I had from the community was quite amazing both in the run up to the day, with businesses getting involved, donating prizes, promoting the event and arranging activities for the day itself. On the day it was estimated that between 300 and 400 people came which I was very pleased with, especially as there were several events on the same day (which of course I hadn't realised when I set the day -  I checked, assuming that promotion would have already started for something happening in 6 weeks time, forgetting that this is Cyprus!)

The event was held at a local football training ground which has a cafe bar and a municipal skate park and playground, a great venue that no-one I knew had heard about they provided a bouncy castle and bbq for the day. We had many local businesses with stalls there, some selling products and some with activities to participate in.

There was toys to play with, pottery painting, drawing. face painting and cute poodle dogs to see as well as a variety of games arranged by Anagennisi, the football club who own the venue.

With help from some friends I ran a tombola stall with over 100 prizes which had been donated by local shops and several people helped me to sell raffle tickets.


Local dance school Performers Academy put on a great little show for us and we had a DJ playing good old family friendly music all day creating a brilliant atmosphere - I may have been dancing around at several points in the day!

A representative from KEPA, the charity I chose to support came along and very kindly presented me with a plaque for my efforts and as a thank you for raising funds for them, which in the end totaled €550


I was so pleased with how the day went, and at one point looked around at all the people and especially considering I'd never done anything like that before! Many people have told me what a great day they had but none made me smile more than Leo telling me the next day that 'it was the BEST fun day ever Mummy!'

You can see more photos of the day on the Famagusta Parents Network facebook page and find the website at www.famagustaparentsnetwork.com



3 Children and It



Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

12 comments:

  1. Well done Emma for organizing a great Famagusta Parents Network Fun Day, bringing enjoyment to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done - my mum lives in cyprus (I'll be there in less than 3 weeks!) and I know everything runs on Cyprus time which is a lot slower than anywhere else so you did really well to organise such a great even in such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a very fun day! #Loud'n'Proud

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, this is an amazing achievement - well done you! Must have taken so much hard work. I bet you were tired the next day! Thanks for linking up to #loudnproud

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you, what a brilliant achievement. Must have been such hard work but it sounds (and looks like) you pulled off a great event. You must have been thrilled when it went so well. Brilliant post, thank you so much for sharing #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, well done! What a fantastic achievement! I'd be terrified of organising something like that :) #loudnproud

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats! Organizing a big event like this will make me so stressed but you you look good while doing it! #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwww Emma i am so proud and happy for you! When I think back to when i first started reading your blog and getting to know you, I would not recognise you now. You have come so far and settled in so well now with your Cypriot friends and community. good for you x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a great day, well done to you! x #LoudnProud

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful achievement and a great fund raiser - I hope you are very proud of yourself. It looks and sounds like a fantastic day was had by all and in such a good cause. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations hun, you should be so chuffed with yourself! Great photos! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flipping heck, well done you! I wouldn't know where to start with that, and you've done a marvellous job. I really like your frock btw missus

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails