Saturday, 22 March 2014

Listography - My life in books

It's been a very long time since I joined in with Kate's Listography but I couldn't resist at the mention of books. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many books I've read and I have so many favourites but these are these ones which are the most memorable to me.

The 'Little House' series - Laura Ingalls Wilder

After reading Little House on the Praire at school, and then finding 'These Happy Golden Years at the library I was totally hooked on the story of Laura and her family.  Eventually I owned the whole set and read and re-read them for many years. I can't remember how old I was when I got rid of them but I dearly wish I'd kept them all now.

Flowers In the Attic - Virginia Andrews

This was the first time I realised how you (usually) ruin a very good book with a bad film.  I loved Flowers in the Attic and the rest of the series, but I sat in disbelief at the film - it wasn't even the same ending! I went on to read almost everything Virginia Andrews wrote.


London Pride - Beryl Kingston

The first 'grown up' book I got from the library, I can't remember how old I was but I didn't have an adult ticket but I asked my Dad if he would get it on his, the libraian heard him and said I could get it myself as she would change my ticket to enable me to take out adult ones - I was so excited about this sudden new amount of books to choose from! It also started me off on a love of World War two 'home front' books and a fascination for recent history.

Lightning - Dean Kootnz


Officially declared as my favourite book of all time. Time travelling Nazi's, 'destiny struggling to reassert the pattern which was meant to be' - what more could I ask for!  I first read my old housemates copy and just loved it and then brought my own battered copy for 50p from a boot fair once he had moved away. One day I will get round to buying a decent copy - it doesn't seem right that my favourite book is falling apart now!

The Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carlye


This has to have a mention as not only was it probably one of the first books I read, its now one I'm regularly reading now! I am pleased that I seem to have passed my love of reading onto my boys and we have acquired a huge collection of books which both the boys read every day just like I always did.



8 comments:

  1. I also loved the Little house series and i read all Virginia Andrews. Love your list. I'll do it but I'm finding it hard to choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list! I totally forgot about the Hungry Caterpillar - will have to read it to my youngest now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hungry Caterpillar was the first book I bought for both Roo and Tigger, a must have read for all children (and parents)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, so pleased to read that your love of books has been passed onto your boys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another list where I have only read one of the books and this time it happens to be the children's book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was sent Flowers in the Attic when I was in hospital, I read the whole thing in one night. I am sure I had read before, but it felt new reading it again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I'd forgotten all about the 'Flowers in the Attic' series. Very disturbing yet utterly compelling reads! And I find Dean Koontz great too, a real psychological page-turner that keeps you awake at night! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Flowers in the Attic! We were obsessed! I think myself and my friends read everything she wrote in a two month period. Dark Angel was another one. Had totally forgotten them!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails