Sunday, 6 January 2013

Epiphany Celebrations in Agia Napa

Today is Epiphany, an important Bank Holiday in Cyprus and for the first time in the 3 years we have lived here we made it down to Agia Napa harbour to see the celebrations.  Not being religious myself and certainly not up enough on my knowledge of Greek Orthodox I headed over to good ol' Wikipedia....

Western Christians celebrate the arrival of the Three Wise Men on this day but Greek Orthodox celebrate the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan river.  In Greece and Cyprus the celebration is focused around the 'Great Blessing of the Waters' where a cross is thrown into the water and the men try to retrieve it for good luck.

In Agia Napa the celebration started at 7am with a church service and then moved to the harbour, which is where we joined the crowds.

Epiphany Agia Napa Cyprus

It was amazingly busy, we guessed over 1000 people must have been there. We were lucky to find a good spot to watch on a boat (and the fact my camera has a good zoom!)

Although the skies were lovely and blue and the sun was shining, it was very windy and felt very cold despite the fact I was wearing two jumpers and a coat - I hate to think how cold the lads got in the water and during the long wait they had to get in!


Leo was a bit bemused by all the people and the (very loud) chanting by the Priest  obviously he didn't know what was going on despite my rather rubbish attempt at explaining it and he was more interested by the fact he could stand on a boat.

After the ceremony we eventually got back through the crowds, (not as easy with a buggy unless you want to mow everyone down!) and stopped off at the little playground for Leo to enjoy.  He had a great time pretending the area under the slide was a restaurant and spent ages running back and forth to us serving us food and drinks, which we had to pay for with our imaginary money... well all except my Mum who for some random Leo reason was not allowed anything!





4 comments:

  1. What a fascinating day! I'm not that religious either but I find religions really interesting. I have been to a Greek Orthodox service and your video took me back to that! I love all the pictures round the harbour but felt like throwing a wet suit to the swimmers! Glad Leo got to have his fun too. Thank you for linking up to Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. The procession looks great, really interesting to learn about a new culture too. I wonder what your Mum had done to have Leo ban her from ordering? They are so funny sometimes aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to put my order in first next time as Leo kept running out of food supplies!! He did have milk though but no tea!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails