Friday, 6 July 2012

Flashback Friday - Summer of '69

'When I look back now, that summer seemed to last forever'

I'm not talking about the ACTUAL summer of '69 you understand, that's a decade before my time but hopefully you got that from the first line!

This week's Flashback theme is 'Summer' - I've looked through loads of photos from many years and could not decide on which to use. (you'd think I might have thought of that before I set the theme but you'd be wrong!)

Summer's always seemed long as a child due to the long summer break from school ( I wonder how much different they will feel to Leo with 3 months off when he gets older as opposed to 6 weeks!) and  I don't remember the weather being that bad either!  I had photos in my head to use of my childhood summers - playing in the sprinkler and paddling pool or day trips to the beach but I just couldn't find what I wanted.

Then the song popped into my head and I realised I wasn't looking for a photo taken in summer at all!

In February 2008 my friends and I attended the last of the big 30th birthday parties of our little group from school. It had been a busy year with what seemed like one a month and I was always glad that this year fell just before we moved to Cyprus.

Not everyone was at every party but it just so happened that everyone was at this last one, even my very good friend Nic who lives the other side of the country, doesn't drive and hadn't even been able to make it to my 30th.

Winter of '08 - not got quite the same ring to it though!

It was a typically good, drunken night with lots of laughter and dancing.  At the end of the evening all the girls were on the dancefloor  arms round each other singing a rousing rendition of 'Summer of '69'. I looked at them all and realised it was not the first time it had happened but it was very likely to be the last time we would all be together like that. 


I said this to a couple of them as we were leaving and they had no idea what I meant - Why would it be they said?    


But I was right, it was a very rare event even then to get a crowd of people together who live scattered about with very different lives to those of 20 years ago. Work, family and children now all play a factor, not to mention one us living in Cyprus!    I think they just didn't believe I was going though or couldn't imagine those parties not being possible.....either that or they were all drunk and not listening!



Man we were killin' time

We were young and restless

We needed to unwind

I guess nothin' can last forever, forever, no






This post is for my Flashback Friday, this week the theme is Summer


As ever you can interpret this as you wish, and if you don't have a photo but would like to share a story then feel free to do that too!  It doesn't matter how far back you go - whether it's 10 months or 10 or 50 years, just take us back to a moment in time!

FlashbackFriday
Grab my button
and join in



No theme next week  - Choose whatever you fancy!

4 comments:

  1. i LOVE that song sooooo much and have to play it very loud whenever i hear it!! i really like how you have interpreted the theme and used the song as a basis for it`! sounds like a fantastic night and i know what you mean about those nights being rare - need to make the most of the memories xx
    i struggled with this theme too so i kind of went with my own but it does apply tot the summer too (well when the weather is dry at least!) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the only person in the world who is not a fan of that song I think!
    I love it with regards to this post though and your interpretation of the theme. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you through the Britmums Post of the Week - loved reading your post and I love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got to love it haven't you! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails