Saturday, 28 April 2012

The answer to my prayers!

When I found out I was pregnant this time round I was absolutely dreading the fact I would be going through the pregnancy and giving birth in Cyprus. My experiences of the hospital up until this point have been mixed, they do speak English and they are generally very helpful but I find the procedures sometimes confusing as I'm sure any foreigner would in the UK and I was very nervous about it all, particularly giving birth.  Aaron said he would be with me despite wishing he hadn't been at Leo's as he wouldn't make me do it alone.

I was most worried about the lack of pain relief and the fact I might have to have a caesarean that I might not need (two things I had heard were very common) as well as struggling with the language (although they speak English they obviously talk in Greek amongst themselves and sometimes I find it hard to understand anyway) 

Then via Mums in Cyprus I was contacted by Claire who is a Doula / Childbirth educator in training looking for someone who would like to use her services to enable her to complete her training. 

This is to me, nothing short of a miracle! Especially now I've met her twice now and she is lovely... and she speaks Greek!

I'd heard of Doula's whilst expecting Leo but was quite happy with the midwives I saw and the options and information available in the UK so I didn't find out much about what they do. 

So, in her own words, what is a Doula?...... 

A Doula is a trained, passionate labor companion who provides the woman and her partner continuous emotional support, physical comfort and assistance in obtaining information before, during, and after child birth. There are many benefits to having a doula present during labor. A doula mothers the mother when she needs it most. 

A doula will encourage and guide the mother to use her own strength and abilities to birth successfully enabling her to have a memorable positive birthing experience.

When a doula is present, women are less likely to have pain relief medications administered and less likely to have a cesarean birth. 

The main focus of a doula's role is often on the birth itself, but doula support can also be invaluable during pregnancy (especially if you face questions about tests or complications), and after the birth when she can help out with feeding and adjusting to life with a newborn.

Sounds good to me, and it sounds good to Aaron who is now not having to be at the birth with me so everyone is happy. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and am even looking forward to it (well, maybe until that first contraction hits anyway!) 


You can find out more on Claire's Facebook page 'Doula Care Service'  

I have not been asked to blog about this but am more than happy to promote her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails