Friday, 18 November 2011

Flashback Friday - Weekend in Paris

One of the best presents and biggest surprise I've received was from Aaron for our first Christmas as a married couple. We were at my parents house exchanging gifts (we used to save our and take them round so we all opened the presents together) and Aaron handed me two presents.  I opened the first one to reveal a guidebook for Paris. With a present like that after a moments confusion you start to wonder if it's a rather random choice of gift or a clue to an amazing one!

It was of course a clue, the next present I opened was a wallet containing travel documents and an itinerary of things that he had planned for us.  It was booked for the early January and Aaron had already cleared it with my work to have the time off!

I'd never been on a city break before and I although I was really looking forward to it, I didn't think it would be like a holiday as such.... weekends go very fast and I didn't think it would be particularly relaxing - the only ever foreign trips I'd taken being beach holidays which involved a lot of sitting in the sun doing nothing!

I was very wrong, It was an amazing weekend, although I may have been known to moan about the amount of walking we did! (in my defence I was a lot bigger and very unfit at the time!)  Aaron had really thought the whole weekend through and apart from the lack of use of the Metro it was perfect )

It's hard to pick a highlight but I could narrow it down to two. On the Saturday evening we had a lovely dinner followed by a show at the Moulin Rouge, I love big showy performances and you don't get much more so than this!

Aaron had also prebooked an evening dinner cruise on a Bateaux Mouches, this was amazing!  A five course meal with music whilst cruisng down the Seine  - that takes some beating!  The moment I will always remember was when we were stood outside, just as we happened to be passing the Eiffel Tower. It was freezing cold and as I was wearing a dress was suffering, Aaron gave me his jacket and just as he put it round my shoulders the lights on the Eiffel Tower sparkled (as they do for the first 10 minutes of every hour when the tower is lit up)   - how ridiculously romantic is that!


To see more great Flashbacks, head over to Cafe Bebe.

8 comments:

  1. You've reminded me about my trip to Paris! I absolutely loved Monmatre - was certainly worth the walk all the way from our hotel near the Gare de Nord and up that huge hill. The Bateaux Mouche dinner was amazing too, the food was unbelievable and the views at night were gorgeous. I'd definitely love to return one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I love city breaks and have been on loads together. In fact we much prefer a few long weekends during the year to two weeks sitting on a beach in the summer. Only been abroad once since my daughter was born sadly although been to lots of places in the UK. We went to Barcelona in March this year for three nights and apart from me ending up in hospital (long story) it proved that city breaks are even possible with a toddler in tow.
    Oh and I've been to Paris twice and definitely think another visit is long overdue! I want to take LOTS of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories when you and Aaron surprised us with a special time in Paris for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, it was great, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fab Christmas present and very romantic at that :)
    Paris is a wonderful city although I have only been there wi friends or my family so no romance there for me! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an idyllic weekend. I also used to think - what's the point of going all that way for three days? But then I did a few and it really does feel likeyou've been on holiday. And it's amazing what you can cram into a long weekend if you plan it well. Loved reading this - thanks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I remember you talking about your city break trip with the hospital visit, not the best part of a city to see if you can help it! I think you need a Paris trip, you'd get some amazing photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely surprise - lucky you.  How fantastic to have it all organised for you too.  My husband promised me a trip to Australia for my 40th, but he gave me a baby girl instead!  After 4 boys it was actually the best present he could ever have given me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd had the odd city break and it's been wonderful its amazing how much you can pack into a short time. Love Paris, only been once, would so love to go back. Your trips sounds amazing and how lovely to have it organised for you - you lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails