Friday, 3 June 2011

Flashback Friday - Sweet Sixteen?

Growing up I was lucky enough to have several foreign holidays with my parents, when I was 16 however although excited about going abroad I was less then enthusiastic about 2 weeks stuck in Minorca with my parents! At that time I was out every day and  most nights (ah those were the days!) I was drinking, smoking and generally not spending too much time with my Mum and Dad. 

The night before the holiday I sat in the pub with my friends (yes I know at 16!) and I was actually envious of my friends who would be out that weekend, I was not looking forward to 2 weeks of not drinking and I expected it to be boring.

I was wrong, it was a great holiday and not boring at all. Well, it may have been a little more fun to my 16 year old self if I'd been with my friends but that was to come the following year in Kavos, Corfu!   The photo above was taken in the Sahara bar and is one of my favourite photos of all time, much to my Mum's disgust :)

A couple of days into the holiday, after nights of me hanging over the balcony smoking after parents had gone to bed trying to not get caught or drop ash on the floor. My Dad offered me a cigarette, I was a little confused in case it was a trick but went for it anyway. He had spanish ciggarettes - Ducados and they were awful. I told him so and he laughed, Mum looked on disapprovingly (which is fair enough!) and good ol' Dad threw some pesetas across the table and told me to go and get some Benson's "if you must".

We did have a laugh in the Sahara bar every night, we drank cocktails and sang karaoke, Dad and I doing a duet of Neil Sedka's 'Oh Carol'  - a great compromise as at the time I used to listen to a (rubbish) reggae version of it so I knew the words!  The first person to sing every night got a free bottle of (cheap and nasty) champagne and as the bar was quite empty at that time we jumped up first every night!

Now days I genuinely enjoy spending time with my parents, in fact I'm looking forward to a night out with them in a karaoke place very soon!


8 comments:

  1. lovely story. It's great to have parents you get one with. I was out clubbing b with my mam at 16! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a fab time, are you still as close to your parents?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee look at you - the height of sophistication. :)
    Parents sound pretty relaxed even back then to be honest. There is no way my mum or dad would let me drink and/or smoke in their company at 16! (i did neither at that age) you were obviously more rebellious than I was! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww What a lovely memory of your Hols with your parents. Sounds like you had a bit of a bonding  session with your Dad. Love the photo...Fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to look at that photo and joke - is that the way we bought you up! especially as I did not smoke, (we did know you did though!)  
    It's good to say we are all get on so well and are always there for one another. Thanks for all you do and have done for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, luckily as they live in an apartment just downstairs from us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent, can't really see my Mum going clubbing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing memory! What a forward Dad! ;) Thanks so much for sharing it! ;)

    Karin

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails