Monday, 20 June 2011

A devoted Dad.

In honour of Father's Day yesterday (and the fact that I didn't actually get my lovely Dad a present)  I thought I'd have a rummage through some old photos, as you know I love my old photos and as excuses to look at them go I figured this was a very good one!

As far as I can recall, I have always got on very well with my Dad even in my teenage years! I was (in my opinion anyway) a very well behaved teenager, there were not too many rules for me to follow and I was always worried about getting into to trouble with him - so worried that I never really did so I still have no idea what the punishment would have been!

I never lied but I may have 'bended the truth' on occasion, at the time I was very pleased with myself for getting away with whatever it was but now I realise he never fell for it!  At 16 he picked me up at the end of an evening and asked me if I had been drinking, I said no to which he replied 'I can smell alcohol on your breath'  After feigning confusion I replied 'Ah, you see what it was Dad, there were some older boys there (friends brother's) and they were drinking and I had just a mouthful of their beer'  He just replied "oh OK then, as long as it was just a mouthful'   :)

It still makes me laugh that the only time I blatantly disobeyed him was the day I eventually passed my driving test, I wanted to go out in my car which he had brought some time before and he said he would rather I didn't as it was dark......... WHAT! I'd been waiting forEVER to go and drive, that is soooooo unfair!  I thought about it for a bit and was so outraged and disappointed that I just thought, No,  I'm not listening, I'm doing it anyway, what makes it funny to me is the way I told him...

I went and stood in front of him and said 'Ok, so I have a driving license so I can officially drive, yes?, the car outside is legally mine, and I'm 18 (18, can you believe I was even having the conversation at 18!) so you can't actually stop me doing anything, right?'  He agreed with me so I said 'Ok, bye then, I'll be going out in my car now'!

To be fair, I can understand that he didn't want me to go out to the pub (wouldn't have drank though) in the dark when I had never driven at night but I still stand by my reaction!

So, no complaints really Dad, and Happy Father's Day for yesterday  xxx

3 comments:

  1. Your dad sounds lovely and your memories a better gift for him than matching tie and hankies, I am sure! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Southern California

    I added myself to follow your blog. 

    I invite you to visit TOGB and follow back.

    God Bless You :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely lovely! Thank you and what a wonderful relationship you have with your Dad...I can relate! ;)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails