Saturday, 19 March 2011

My Favourite beach

Let me take you to my favourite beach...





Welcome to Konnos Bay, situated between Agia Napa and Protaras and said to be one of the most picturesque beaches on the island.  We first discovered Konnos when on holiday in 2008 and I declared it my favourite beach of all time, quite a bold statement! 

The Cyprus Tourism Organisation says this "One of the most picturesque beaches on the island, it is well sheltered from heavy winds and has practically no waves at all. It is 200 metres long by 35 metres wide and covered with fine golden sand."

My reasons...
It's lovely for kids, (expect the walk down to it if you are laden with bags, towels, assorted beach toys and a buggy, and especially the walk back up!) as the sea is almost free of waves and is shallow for a very long way out. 

There is a cafe which does lovely food, (especially the bacon and halloumi sandwich) and the best view I think I've seen.

View from the cafe. (and my blog header!)


There are water-sports, umbrellas and sun loungers for hire, but the best bit is that the yellow plastic sun-loungers float! 





The sand is lovely and soft, and the sea is crystal clear. There are a few rocks in the water but big enough to see and it's fine to walk in with no shoes on.

There is a shower and toilets, and not only that, they were still clean, tidy and with toilet roll left at 6pm in the evening!  

It's also only a 15 minute drive from home which is rather handy!

Photobucket

For more photos of Konnos Bay, head over to my Posterous blog  - Discovering Cyprus

16 comments:

  1. What a glorious beach. And perfect for families as you describe. Idyllic.

    I miss the beach having left Scotland for southern Germany. Although it was always too cold and windy for proper sunbathing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how gorgeous to live near a beach like that! I've come from Laura's linky party (fashionably late as per usual!) - I'm an American living in the UK. Beautiful post, thanks for sharing! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what an amazing place to live! I worked as an archaeologist outside of Nicosia for three months, years ago. I loved it, and have always wanted to go back for a holiday. Such a spectacular beach, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great linky - was very excited to be first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's well worth a visit if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to 'meet' you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, you do need a lot of sun cream out here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, that beach looks gorgeous! I've never been to Cyprus, though my stepfather was stationed there and returns sometimes. So beautiful!

    Paul
    http://fromsheeptoalligators.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like one gorgeous beach!!!   I am liking the sound of that bacon and halloumi sandwich as well!  Thanks for submitting this post to Loveallblogs Weekly Travel showcase!  Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! There's no place more beautiful than the Mediterranean!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So you want to add this to my linky party? It is the perfect entry. I can do it for you if you like - just let me know :) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, now I see it! Thank you for submitting it - you are the first one. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous! I am jealous you get this whenever you want. I spent a good amount of time in the Greek islands, but I would love to visit Cyprus one day. Thanks for the mini vacay :) Stopped over from the 'Around the World in a Day Hop'. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Emma I just found you through gorgeous Laura and am now following your pretty blog. What a fabulous post to start with! My, no wonder you love living there. And I'm not even a 'beach person'☺. J x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a gorgeous beach!

    I went to Paphos in Cyprus with my Mum about 2 years ago and we went to Coral Beach in Coral Bay...was so lovely!

    I'd love to go to Cyprus again...was such an amazing holiday - even if I did look like a burnt lobster for the first half of the week!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. LindyLouMac in Italy9 October 2012 at 20:47

    Calling by from the Expat Linky Party, I am English woman now living in Italy. It is great to meet you virtually and I look forward to exploring your blog. I am interested as Cyprus is somewhere we sort of considered when planning to leave the UK. Your local beach looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails