Friday, 3 September 2010

Is the grass ever greener on the other side?

I found a great quote today....

"The grass may be greener on the other side, but you still have to mow it"


It's very true, many people move to Cyprus (and other places) thinking that life will be suddenly great, that they will leave all their worries behind and the sun alone will make everything perfect. It is also true that a living in Cyprus doesn't work out for lots of people, I think often for this very reason.

I think often people arrive on what they expect to be a permanent holiday, I would imagine that even if you were lucky enough not to have to work and you had the funds to maintain a holiday lifestyle that you would soon tire of it (well maybe not that soon, but eventually!)

We never expected to be living like that, we knew with AJ at work and me looking after Leo that it wasn't going to be an option, we have bills to pay, household chores to do and general daily living like anybody else with a mortgage and a 1 year old.

We had a month when we arrived before AJ was working which was our "holiday" Although it wasn't the November weather we were used to it certainly wasn't my usual holiday weather so there was no beach trips or swimming in the pool, we didn't have a lot of money and knew no-one to babysit so no nights out, and few nights staying up drinking due to early mornings with litte'un. It was nice though to have that time together to settle in and I think it helped that we carried on pretty much as normal but just happened to be in a new country.

It's going well so far, we don't have much money left at the end of the month, we are usually tired, Leo doesn't sleep all that well and AJ works hard and does long hours, etc. etc.  but we wouldn't have it any other way. I'm guessing the above would be just the same in England anyway but without the things we love about Cyprus.



The grass definitely isn't greener here, in fact it hardly ever rains so it's a rather fetching brown colour. Who needs grass anyway!

9 comments:

  1. Hello I am a new follower from FF. I would love a follow back at http://megankayden.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a new follower from the blog hop.
    big hugs
    Living Out Loud
    http://lgreenss.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blog!! I am really enjoying looking around. Thanks for sharing!! I am now a new follower!! Nicole @ colieskitchen.com BTW I found you on Mom Blog Monday Blog Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoyed your reasoning - the grass might be greener on the other side - they may look after it - but it will still get those dreaded weeds!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog via Mummy Mishaps. We also made a 'big' move a year and a half ago, and I did my version of your blog yesterday . . . very weird, but in a good :-)!

    http://mom-on-a-wire.blogspot.com/2010/09/if-it-makes-you-happy-it-cant-be-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a brilliant quote, I think that sometimes the grass is greener but then it does turn brown but itll always be green again at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's an Aussie blogger called Shanarnigans whose motto is: The Grass is Greener Where You Water It. I think that's so true. If you put the effort in, it's all good. And you're right - even in the sun, you still have to do those workaday chores. Hope all is going well!

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My uncle bought a place in Cyprus thinking it would be greener but then they didn't join the EU and it all went a wee bit pear shaped. You are absolutely right. Who needs grass?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not "greener" just different!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails