Saturday, 25 September 2010

All things come to those who wait

For as long as I can remember I have been told that "All good things come to those who wait" Do they, or should you get off your backside and go and get them yourself?

Looking back over my life so far I have spent a depressing amount of time waiting for something or other. I don't mean buses, or delivery men, although I've done that too! I mean waiting for something to get better or something to happen.

It's been various things over the years, as a child I was waiting for birthdays or Christmas or to be old enough to do different things. As I got older I was waiting to find a boyfriend, a better job, to get married and have a baby. I waited for exciting things to happen, like a good night out or a holiday., to live in a better house, I think I was waiting for everything to be "just right" I don't think I always realised I was waiting but I'm sure I've always had the feeling that something wasn't quite right, like I was sure something would happen eventually.



When we first moved to Cyprus I was definitely waiting, I clearly realised that as it was happening. I was waiting for lots of things, to get unpacked, to get our internet connected, to meet people, to get a car, to know my way around and generally  feel like I was at home here.

Somewhere in the last few months I realised that I don't feel like I'm waiting quite as much any more, still looking forward to things but not just waiting for them to happen. I don't know why, maybe because I've settled here well, maybe because I have some of the things I've wanted for most of my life, who knows.


If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine.

This post was written for  Josie's wrting workshop over at Sleep is for the week. I chose prompt No.5 Waiting.

9 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! I felt like that right up until I got pregnant and had Oli. Life suddenly had a whole different meaning! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 25 before I realized that life wasn't just going to 'happen.' I'm so much happier now, life is exactly what I want it to be and it's awesome!

    here from FF, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Well written.

    Following from a blog hop. Would love a follow in return. Having GFC issues lately though so you may have to click on the "Follow" button on the very top left-hand side of the page next to the "B" search window. Sorry to be so difficult! Sigh...stupid google.

    Love your blog.

    Ruthie Joyce
    www.mysocalledhomeschoollife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, since having my little one I don't feel I am waiting any more. I am enjoying what I have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Everything comes to those who wait' I was always told this as a child and also said the same to you. In my opinion it is designed to delay the situation of someone wanting something, taking the easy way out, but I am a firm believer that if you want something or a situation you have to do your best to achieve it. If you do not make an effort things will pass you bye, you can't just rely on luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! You've done a lot better than most people! Moving to Cyprus for a new start sounds like a very pro-active step! I need to stop thinking that good things will come to me and get out there, making things happen. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the saying goes deeper than getting things you want in life, waiting for that new house, or a boyfriend etc. I always associate this expression with people who have really struggled with something, people who have had to work through god knows what to achieve something, and you'd hear people say 'see good things do come to those who wait' as if they 'really' deserved it. I don't feel I have explained that very well, but I know what i mean!! Not much good I know! To me its almost the same as the expression ' things will come good in the end, you wait and see' (when you actually feel like giving the person a good clip round the ear and shouting, I dont want it good in the end, I would like it to stop being crap now and be good now'. waffling now, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel I am always waiting for something, maybe one day I'll know what it is. Thank you for reminding me to reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of changing my perspective - from waiting, to looking forward to. Great post!

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails