Tuesday, 22 June 2010

Our Divided Village.

We live on the east coast of Cyprus, in Derynia almost on the Green line which divides the Republic of Cyprus (South) from the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. I don't wish to enter into the politics of the island, the invasion in 1974 is still very recent to most Cypriots and I don't know enough about it to be able to get involved in any kind of debate. (You can read more about it here, should you wish to know more)

Our apartment overlooks Varosha, the 'Ghost town' of Cyprus,


I've had many a walk with the little dude around the village since arriving here, not so much now - it's just too hot to go out walking with him strapped into his buggy now.
Here are some photos from my springtime walks - note the lovely greenery, long gone now with the arrival of the hot summer.

One of the UN checkpoints, as far as you can go in Derynia. 75% of the village is in the buffer zone. 










Looking into the buffer zone, note the barbed wire.












All Saints Church, built in 1992, work was started in January 1974 but stopped due to the invasion.


















Amatterofchoice

5 comments:

  1. I meant to say thank you for the link! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning view! Lovely blog. Found you at the Expat Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena Pissaridou12 October 2012 at 10:18

    Lovely post. I would like to give you an advice about something.
    If you are talking with Cypriots, I wouldn't refer to the occupied area as "republic". Because it just isn't one. I'm not attacking you in any way, I'm not that kind of person. I'm just giving an advice as a Cypriot.
    Since this is an old post, maybe by now someone gave you the same advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I didn't realise it shouldn't be called that, I thought that was the correct term.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elena Pissaridou25 October 2012 at 11:49

    It's a way for us not to be recognized as a republic since it's part of the Republic of Cyprus. We call it ψευδοκράτος in greek which translates into pseudo-state or we accompany anything about the occupied area as "the so called republic" or "the so called president". In written word you can just use " " to make the same point.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails