Wednesday, 9 June 2010

Hanging my head in shame.

Ok, I'm going public... I have a love of really bad music, not just a bit rubbish but really bad. I even know the songs are bad and in the rare event someone agrees with me and says it's good I have to disagree with them an point out that it is actually terrible but for some reason I  still like it. AJ says I have a bad music gene in me!

So imagine my delight on seeing this post by Emily O over at Babyrambles I like three of her five, and I'd never heard of one! (to see her five click here Five songs I shouldn't like but do) So I thought I'd share with the world some of the songs I hate to love, what's quite depressing is the fact that I've been thinking about this for a couple of days - there's a lot of terrible music to choose from don'tcha know.

In no particular order

Buck Fizz, Making your Mind Up





I remember dancing around my front room to this at the time, I was only four though so it was cute rather than worrying, whenever I hear it it makes me smile which in theory wouldn't be very often if it wasn't on my ipod.


Chas and Dave, Ain't No Pleasing You





I like several Chas & Dave songs, but this is my favourite. It reminds me of New Year Eve parties as a child, and my Dad singing this in a slightly drunken manner to my Mum who would be trying to fend him off and get him to stop messing around. I was unexpectedly impressed at a party for my Mum's 60th when this was played as AJ did almost the same.

Sister Sledge, Frankie





This was always played at my first school discos, I forgot about it until I found it on an 80's compilation just after I had met AJ. It was his first realisation how much I loved random songs as not having heard it for over 10 years I got  ridiculously excited and brought the compilation just to hear it. He was depressed to learn that I hadn't even known it was by Sister Sledge - something that would happen a lot over the next few years as I  also realised lots of the songs I liked in the late 80's were in fact covers, and usually bad ones at that

Tight Fit, The Lion Sleeps Tonight.





I never really had an opinion on this song until drunken adults weekend away at Butlins, there were about 10 of us, all dressed as school kids and we danced to this song in a line and by the end we had gathered a crowd  who were joining in. It was one of those moments that really stick in your mind, no mean feat considering the alcohol I'd drank that night.

Dannii Minogue, This is it.





I don't even have a really good reason for this, just another one that always makes me smile. This isn't even on my ipod (might be after this though!) I just found it whilst arsing around on youtube and reacquainted myself with it, much to AJ's disgust.

There are more, and they will probably come to me over the next few days but I'll spare you, and there's always the possibility they could get worse, I know, it's hard to believe but you never know! Also as I'm sitting on my balcony there are neighbours who can hear, although thankfully next door are Cypriot and don't seem to speak much English.










3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking this up! Frankie and The Lion Sleeps Tonight what can I say? Some of my favourites from the 80s. Bucks Fizz were brilliant too, I used to really want to be in the band. Less sure about Dannii but I do love her on X Factor these days. Great choices and there's no need to be ashamed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have enjoyed having a read of your blog. However, this post and your excellent choice of music means I am definitely your latest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was 16 I liked and danced to the Lion Sleeps Tonight - I am 64 now and still like it! -

    Emma's Mum

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails