Monday, 19 June 2017

Our day out in Larnaca

This is an unintentional flashback post as it is all about a day out almost exactly a year ago!  I was full of good intentions as ever and even started the post not long after, but only got as far as uploading the images. 

Anyway,  I think it was not long after the children finished school for the summer, and in hindsight it wasn't the best time of year for such a day out, it was far too hot to really enjoy it all especially our planned picnic in the park.  

I'd wanted to go to Larnaca Fort for years, I've driven past it many times and almost visited it on several occasions but for various reasons we'd never got round to it.  I always assumed it wouldn't hold the boys attention for long and so it was just one of those 'one day' things. 


So I rounded up my friend Sam and her kids,  always a winner as they all love being together and announced we were going on a road trip!

Entry to the fort was very low,  I think maybe only €1 and was free for the two little ones who were both 3 at the time,  you can't get much better than that  and you wouldn't want to pay any more really as it doesn't take that long to walk round.



It was nice to see the views from the top, and take my own versions of photos I've been seeing for years online.  Leo was fascinated by the view and stood pretending there were invaders approaching, shouting instructions at the others to hold them back!




Louka not looking very impressed - although it turned out he was a bit poorly!


We were only at the fort an hour or so,  but they enjoyed it. Mainly exploring the courtyard and the views from the top rather than the mini museum but I'd say that's quite expected for kids.

The plan was to then head to the Larnaca Municipal Gardens,  I took a couple of wrong turns on the way and we did a few circuits of the one way system, much to the boys disgust and moans of how long it would take, and why are we going this way again Mum?

But we got there, abandoned the car in a space we hoped was OK - parking is so much easier where we live than Larnaca!

Heading straight for the shade to sort out the picnic as it was roasting hot, we let the kids run off to the play area, only to have them come straight back as all the equipment was too hot to touch.




Huddled together in the limited shade we ate our picnic and then discovered a zip line,  it was decided that was worth braving the heat for while everyone had a go, including Sam.  I did have videos somewhere, I'll have to add them in when I find them!

I noticed a building in the centre of the park which we were surprised to discover was a Natural History Museum.   I had very low expectations of it, knowing what places can be like in Cyprus, and assuming if it was any good I'd have heard of it but when we discovered it was 50c to get in we thought it was worth a look.


And it was,  It's not a huge place but it is crammed full of things to look at,   and had the best and most welcome air conditioning we'd ever found - as we stood under one of the a/c units we said that it was the best 50c we'd ever spent!

Suitably cooled, we ventured back into the park for a bit before heading to our final treat of the day, we went to Fun Factory for the first time, and they all had a great time playing - this time inside, in the air conditioning with loads of cool water to drink.


It was a long day, but enjoyed by everyone,   it must be time to sort out another road trip to some new places by now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails