Friday, 13 February 2015

Two boys, a beach and some sticks. #EmbraceHappy

I am trying to make an effort this year to get out and about,  I really am even, though the thought doesn't always seem appealing!

Although I had a lovely morning with just Leo the other week, it becomes a whole different outing with both of the boys, even simple every day things can be hard work - today for example it took me 20 minutes to get from school to the car as Loukas refused to co-operate and eventually ended up with me having to stick him under my arm and march him to the car and fight him into his car seat!

But I know it's better to get out, and I know the more we do it, the easier it becomes. Already we are better off than last year now we rarely use the buggy as that really limited where we could go, so last week on a whim we jumped in the car and headed for a walk along the beach path.



Within 2 minutes of getting out the car Loukas asked to be carried, sitting down in protest on the floor as I tried to get him to walk - hmmm, not such a good start!

However, once distracted by a passing cat, and then the small play area on the Protaras beach path he soon livened up and went running after Leo.


Previously when walking the beach path we have always avoided actually going onto the beach like the mean parents we are, but as I am trying to be more 'fun' and not over think everything I let them decide.

We stopped for a while at the play area and the boys went to explore and look at the water from the decking overhanging then sea.


As much as I need a kick up the backside to get out, it is nice when we're there and its nice to be out without being too hot.  My reluctance to go on the beach is usually due to the fact I don't want wet kids when we have no towels or change of clothes but beach trips are considerably easier without bagfuls of stuff!

It must be quite obvious that I'm not a winter beach fan by the surprise they showed when I said it was fine to go on the sand, and when Leo asked for his beach toys he was not impressed that we had none.   It didn't take long for us to find some sticks, and an empty water bottle though and they were well away, drawing in the sand, using them as light sabers and magic wands.


It didn't take long for Loukas to notice the sea despite our best efforts to keep him away but he reluctantly enjoyed throwing stones and sticks into it and we avoided getting wet, the last thing I fancied was carrying a tired sandy wet toddler back to the car!



Getting Loukas off the beach was quite a mission, involving lots of persuasion from Leo and I, but Leo was a great help and we managed it with no tears and few tantrums.  Poor little legs started to get tired on the way back to the car and I did have to carry Loukas for a large amount of it but we got there in one piece and overall a good time was had by all!


For a while now I have been following, and often joining in with #EmbraceHappy and it has really helped me to focus on the little things and make more of an effort to look for the good things in every day, so this photo sums up the trip for me - and makes me smile when I think of how hard it was to capture, kids running all over the letters, not being at all co-operative but it had us all in fits of laughter - a definite 'Embrace Happy' moment!


Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you're finding the time to get out and enjoy some fresh air family fun. It's always great to see the reaction to doing something that's normally off limits. Thanks for linking up with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always amazes me how little kids need to keep them amused x

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails