Thursday, 25 September 2014

Why the hell not! - My first steps in blogging

Five years ago, sat at my laptop in my parents conservatory surrounded by boxes and with a 4 month old Leo sleeping by my side I started a blog.  I'm not sure why I suddenly decided to do it, it was not something I'd previously thought of doing and I didn't stop to think about it in anyway, I found 'Blogger' signed up paused briefly to come up with a blog name - 'Why the hell not?'  (start a blog?, Move to Cyprus?  one of those two!) and started typing.

I had a quick look at the layout and colour options, clicking a couple and I think going with a light brown colour for some reason, no images, no social media, nothing except my first little post - 'Do you want to move to Cyprus?' 

I wrote seven posts that first week, to no-one in particular as I hadn't told anyone or shared it anywhere. Looking back the posts seem so short especially when you consider I was talking about such a big thing in my life - our imminent move to a new country where we knew no-one and nothing at all, leaving our friends and family behind and being new parents at the same time -  hardly any photos, and the minimum of text, and most of the posts haven't even got titles!

After seven posts in as many days, it seems a bit strange that I then only managed two in October and one in November, then not a thing until January but blogging hadn't become a habit at that point and from moving into our apartment at the end of November it took almost months to get online, and even when I did write after all that time it wasn't much more than a paragraph!

I soon changed the name as I didn't like it but struggled trying to think of one, I came to the conclusion that it didn't really matter anyway as I didn't think anyone would read it. 'A matter of choice' comes from my favourite quote -

'Destiny is not a matter of chance, but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.'
William Jennings Bryan

It had a similar reasoning to 'Why the hell not?'  as in I chose to start a blog, and I chose to move to Cyprus.  I thought a couple of years later about changing it but I can't bring myself to do that now!

I didn't think anyone would be reading it, other than maybe my Mum and a couple of friends I'd be leaving in England but I was stunned to see the numbers gradually going up, I remember coming on one day and being stunned that I had 30 people following my blog, and I didn't know any of them!

Back in the early days I never imagined how much time I would come to spend blogging and writing plus all the other online stuff that comes with it. I probably wouldn't have thought I'd still be keeping it up 5 years and nearly 1000 posts later.  I can't imagine not doing it now, and most of what I do all stems back to that original post - my monthly contributions to Daxi magazine,  my section on Angloinfo.com and Mums in Cyprus, and of course the Famagusta Parents Network and all that encompasses, plus the other bits and pieces I seem to get myself involved in along the way!

Lets see what the next five years brings then.....

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice

Linking up to Golden Oldies


11 comments:

  1. I went back and read the first couple of years (not every post I admit). I love the way you decided to move to Cyprus almost on a whim and that you've never regretted it. Hear'es to the next 5 years! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading, I keep thinking one day I'll revisit some of the original posts and write them properly before I completely forget what the early days were like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I read your early days posts, I went back and amused myself re-reading some of my archived posts. Some of them would be trashed before I order the print version (if I ever do) but others I really liked and had completely forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might not pop over often but you're one of my faves. I love reading about your life in Cyprus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, that means a lot to me. I'm thinking of redoing some early posts and writing more about living here, any suggestions? What do you find most interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these years later and I'm still amazed that we did it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy 5 years - i didnt start until april 2010 so you beat me! funny how it starts off as a new thing which you have no idea about, and it is a take or leave it thing, and then quickly becomes an obsession!
    well done on all you have achieved, when i think back to your earlier posts you were still finding your feet in Cyprus and now look how far and hwo much youyr have accomplished! oh and you met me too lol :0 amazing x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 5 year anniversay. Im only at this a little over a month so still a while to go haha. Would love to visit Cyprus one day #goldenoldies

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I just wanted to say five years wow! I'm still in my first year but I too just picked up a computer one day and thought 'let's start a blog' no idea how or why but I did and I love it. Thanks for linking up #goldenoldies

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a similar start to you in that I started blogging a few years ago but was writing for no one other than myself. After a good start my posts were few and far between and then I suddenly went for it about two months ago and am now loving it. I found this post on the #goldenoldies so I look forward to reading more. x

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails