Thursday, 3 April 2014

For the first time in forever...

For the first time in forever, I am more than 'just a Mum' 
For the first time in forever, I am busy, having fun!
and I know it's totally crazy to think I wasn't 'me' 
but for the first time in forever it seems I've found the key!

Looking back, I can't really think of a time when I was 'busy', before Leo was born I worked but I finished at 5pm on the dot, never took work home with me or gave it a moments thought once leaving the office and did as I pleased in the evenings and weekends. Never chock a block with social arrangements or struggling to fit things in, always free for any meet ups or last minute plans.

For the last five years I've been lucky to be a stay at home Mum, and I've spent a lot of time being busy doing nothing,   'nothing' being washing, cooking, cleaning and general housewifey stuff and looking after one, then two children, which of course isn't nothing at all but often feels like it!

I'd arrange to meet with friends and never have to think if I had other plans, it was never anything that couldn't be moved, maybe just a vague plan to go shopping or mop the floor!

Aaron was working 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, and then in the winter it was the complete opposite and he was at home 24/7.  He was then able to help out with everything and it felt like we were both sitting around the house doing 'nothing' together.

And then it all went crazy!

Aaron started his new job, in which he basically sets his own hours and arranges his own appointments, so it varies when he is around.

I started a part time cleaning job working the hours around Aaron being at home.

I am still going to Slimming World (3lb from target now)  but am also the 'weigh lady' which I enjoy - I like helping out and it means I 'have' to attend group even if I've had a bad week.

Aaron had time to re-discover his love of photography and created a facebook page showing some of his favourite photos and offering his services at local events.

Last month I started year 2 of the government's Greek lessons, they were due to begin back in November but in typical style they were late and because of that they are being run as double lessons - hence 3 hour long lessons twice a week!

In February I launched the Famagusta Parents Network (FPN)  a website and online community group for families of all nationalities in my area, and just in case all that wasn't enough I started arranging a Family Fun Day to celebrate the launch of the FPN and give families a great day out whilst supporting local businesses and raising money for charity!

It's madness but I love it!

Week days are crazy busy, with Aaron and I competing for time out the house for meetings and time on the computer for working whilst the other occupies the boys!

Weekends are starting to feel like weekends again, and becoming a time that feels different to the rest of the week!

I think some people may think I'm a bit mad - running a non-profit organisation but it's my 'baby' and I really feel like it's going to go places - the fun day is a first for me and so far seems to be all under control. I'm really looking forward to the day and hope it goes as well as it is playing through in my head!

I still love my own little piece of the internet with my personal blog here, and I have no intention of abandoning it, posts may be less frequent but I'll keep 'em coming as and when I get a chance!

Image credit
Louka is now 19 months old and rapidly approaching the 'terrible twos'  - he's starting to talk but has also started to develop a real temper when he can't get what he wants or can't make you understand him.    Leo is almost 5 years old -  loud, crazy, still reasonably high maintenance but on the whole increasing easy and fun to be with.

I am ME, a wife, Mum, daughter, friend and throwing it all together with lot of  'to do' lists and my fingers crossed!

Who knew that being properly busy was the thing to make me happy than I can remember being for ages?! (well, either that or the repeated watching of the film 'Frozen!)

3 comments:

  1. Someone once told me that there are times to do and times to just be. You've had a few years of being and now it's your time to do. Good luck with it all - the website sounds like an amazing resource for the local parent.s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Emma! You are blossoming! So very pleased for you! Don't you feel loads better for it?! Keep on keeping on my dear! #embracehappy

    ReplyDelete
  3. and now |I have songs from Frozen in my head again darn you Emma!!!
    Seriously though, this is fantastic news Emma and i can tell from the way you have written this how happy you are as your passion for all that is happening in your life right now is so clear in this post. I think you have very much #embracedhappy well done you i am so pleased for youx x x

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails