Thursday, 13 February 2014

Home Is Where you Make It

Recently I was asked to contribute to the HiFX Expat page, which offers advice to those looking to move abroad. After contributing to their campaign, I realised that I have lots of useful information which I could offer future expats and my favourite...

Let your new country become your home.

People always say that 'Home is where the heart is', this has never been truer than when moving abroad, because if you still consider England to be your home, then that is where your heart will be.

The day we arrived in Cyprus back in 2009 was the day it became our home, from the moment we stepped off the plane we made the conscious decision not to refer to England as 'home'. I figured that every time I thought of it as home I would feel like I didn't belong here and for me at least I didn't think I would be able to settle well if that was the case.

I've met many expats who still refer to England as home even after many years here, they go back 'home' for holidays, they miss their friends back 'home', and things are not like this at 'home'.

It felt a little strange at first always making a point of saying 'In England / back in England' and we tripped up a couple of times before correcting ourselves but it didn't take long,  Remember the saying 'fake it until you make it'?  That was my plan!

It worked, after a year when I went back to England for a holiday, I left after 3 weeks to come home and by then I actually believed it!

I know some people come to see how they like living here before committing to stay permanently and that's fine if that's what they want but I knew if we'd done that it would be likely that a bad day or bad week would have me running for the airport and I didn't move my whole life across the world to have to do it again.

That's not to say we'd never leave Cyprus 'Never say never' after all (how many more cliches can I fit into one post!) Once I'd have sworn blind that I'd never move abroad so who knows what might happen in the future, but for now and the foreseeable future we have no plans to go anywhere, except maybe a bigger house one day!

Image credit

This post is written in conjunction with HiFX.co.uk Expert Expats 

1 comment:

  1. You are/were so right. A serial expat whose husband was sent to a different country to live every four years or so, said that you have to approach each new place as if this is where you will be living for the rest of your life. That's the only way you make the most of it, become part of a community, and not subconsciously spend 4 years or more living out of a (proverbial) suitcase.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails