One of the things I missed most when I first started Slimming World was my takeaways, Chinese was reasonably easy to adapt but McDonalds and KFC would something to be reserved for special occasions and 'off plan' days. Eight years later though, and with a huge increase in information available online there are tons of 'fake away' recipes to choose from.
After the success of my 'Big Mac in a bowl' last year I decided to try the 'KFC style chicken' recipe I'd seen doing the rounds online.
It was a huge hit with the whole family, and although not exactly the same as the very moist and fatty pieces of chicken on the bone that you get in a Bargain bucket, it was very similar to the popcorn chicken and the fillets - certainly fills a 'KFC need'.
4 small chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
3 tsp Chicken Bovril
2 slices wholemeal bread
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Mixed herbs
1 tsp Cajun spice
1 tsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
1) Preheat oven to 200 deg
2) Mix eggs with bovril and put chicken into the mix to marinate for 20 minutes
3) Make breadcrumbs from toasted bread
4) Add all the herbs to the breadcrumbs and mix well
5) Spray an oven tray with frylight
6) Remove chicken from the mix and roll in breadcrumbs
7) Place chicken on tray and spray with frylight
8) Cook for 20 minutes spraying chicken halfway through with frylight.
Only it's only 6 syns for the whole lot!
The recipe was given to me by a fellow SW member but when I came to make it I realised I didn't have most of the spices needed so I improvised, using BBQ seasoning rather than Jamaican Jerk (not sure if you can even get that here in Cyprus) and leaving out the Cajun spice altogether, it was still yummy though!
This has now made it onto the list of my favourite Slimming World meals!