Thursday, 16 May 2013

The one where I'm not smuggling a beach ball in summer

Apart from the birth of Louka, 2012 was not one of my favourite years, it started off with Aaron being out of work and us getting used to the fact we were to have another baby.  Then Aaron got a job which was great although I was plain terrified at the thought of being pregnant, dealing with Leo and eventually having a baby almost without him as he had to work long hours, 7 days a week.

Then it got hot,  oh boy did it get hot!   I will never NEVER forget how bloody hot that summer felt being nine months pregnant in August!  I wasn't happy, it was so uncomfortable, it's hard going at the best of times when the temperatures are consistently in the high 30s / low 40s but with a very large baby bump it was horrendous!

I wrote a post 'When the sunshine's grey' and for the first time I had a good old moan on my blog. I was whinging but I stand by it all - I was pregnant, hot, bored and generally not a happy bunny!

When Aaron started work again this year I was worried, in some ways more worried as I realised I now have two children, and unlike last year Leo will not be at school for the 3 months of summer.  He's now been at work just over a month and slowly I'm getting used to the new situation and forming some sort of vague routine. 

It's not easy, not as easy as I would have imagined many years ago, back in the day when I thought how lucky 'stay at home mums' with their coffee mornings and happy times spent playing with lovely children but it's still a damn sight better than going to work!

I'm very lucky that Aaron has a job and is happy to provide for us, we don't have much but we survive and I really appreciate the fact he works his arse off for us. As hard as my 'job' is I wouldn't want to work 7 days a week for 7 months. 

This summer is going to be long, and hot like all the others and it's not going to be easy for either of us but it's always going to be an improvement on last year!

A week or so ago I had my first swim with Leo and it was brilliant....


Last year I could not take him to the pool without my Dad's help. I couldn't hold him, play with him and struggled getting in and out of the water.   Everytime he came near me he ended up kicking my bump and it was so uncomfortable. 


It's still going to be hard work, taking both the boys to the pool, Louka likes the water but the act of juggling the pair of them, watching both, going for a wee etc is quite tricky! I'm lucky to have my parents or  great friends around who are always happy to lend a hand - or hold a baby!

I'm looking forward to the summer,  spending time with my boys, my friends and realising that I'm very lucky in many ways. 

What a difference a year makes.....

It might look idyllic but trust me, I was not having fun!

18 comments:

  1. Miss the Cyprus heat but oh boy it gets super hot over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, twelve months can make a humongous difference, makes you wonder what will change in the next year hey?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been so uncomfortable being pregnant in that heat, wow, that is hot! I hope you have a lovely summer with your boys and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would hate to have been pregnant in that kind of heat even though you do look lovely by the pool. What a difference a year makes! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horrible to be pregnant with it that hot. Never really experienced heat when pregnant with a March baby, but can imagine it's isn't much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yeah i remember one of my babies being like that..tho not as hot here in blighty obviously. a little jealous of your sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this post with a great deal of interest given that I would love nothing more than a 2nd baby. I don't know how people cope, like you say with watching two and needing the loo etc.
    Yes, what a difference a year makes :-)
    Thanks for visiting my #R2BC
    Liska xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2010 was hotter here too Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to have family and friends around that can help, and although we'd like a little more heat in the UK I can fully understand how being heavily pregnant in such intense heat could be miserable. Here's to more pool days with the boys and thanks for linking up to Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't envy you being pregnant in such high temperatures, I'm sure it was awful. Coming from a country that rarely has sunshine or summer and mostly always rain I didn't really have that problem. It's lovely that you have people nearby to help you and sounds like you're doing great with the two boys. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic post, I am so glad you can get to enjoy it now and it looks like he has had a great time x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember with my first pregnancy we had a mini heatwave (very unusual in Scotland!) for the last month... Thankfully I was on maternity leave, but as my son was nearly 2 weeks late I was so fed up by the end! Hot weather and an 8/9 month bump is no fun. Enjoy this summer :) #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awh lovely, Yes, a year makes a big different. And the older they get there are different challenges to over come but one this is for sure, its never a dull day when they enter our world :0) All the best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much happens in a year. I can't imagine the heat and pregnancy! It's nice to have family and friends about to help and share in the fun. That first swim looks very inviting! Here's to a great fun summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goodness Emma you did have a huge bump , I was big with Jenson and I don't think I could have managed in such a hot climate, you did so well lovely. I still remember your message telling me your fabulous news - I was so chuffed that you shared it with me
    It is hard looking after little ones on your own but having such good friends and family to help must be a great help.
    Thanks for linking up. X.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww what a lovely bump. My boys are 18 mths apart and I took them from when they were both quiet young - I found those jackets are really good for keeping them afloat - a bit of piece of mind.
    Could do with some nice weather now mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow a year can really make a difference, although I have to say you look like you were really glowing when you were pregnant :) It must be great to have that first outdoor swim of the year with you little man :)
    Lovely photos and great post.
    Just stopping by from Country Kids


    Laura x
    www.sidestreetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely to have you back Em, I pray the 2013 season is a much better one for you all as a family. Mich x

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails