Thursday, 28 February 2013

There's no place like home.

Last week I flew back to England for four days, for the first time in nearly 3 years.  I left Aaron and the boys here, as Louka does not have a passport yet and it was going to be a whirlwind trip. I was very excited about it and couldn't wait to see my friends again. 

Over the time I was there I wasn't online much, although I did manage to keep up with my 365 project even though I took surprisingly few photos. Between us all we only ended up with one very blurry, and  unattractive picture of us all together which is not going to make it onto facebook let alone here!

I shopped, I slept, I drank, talked and ate, and I was very cold!

Overall it was fantastic few days and I wish I could have spent more time with the girls, but I could not handle that grey weather for much longer!   Apparently I missed some nicer days either side of my trip but it was pretty miserable the whole time I was there - cold, grey, wet and dark.   I must admit that although I was sad to leave each of my friends over the days and was a bit tearful walking into the airport I did have a big grin on my face as the plane took off and within seconds of rising through the clouds was in brilliant blue skies. (It would have been  great photo for my 365 but I'd left my phone in the overhead locker and couldn't be bothered to get it!)


"I see blue skies, through the tears in my eyes, and I realise, I'm going home'
Lyrics from 'I'm Going Home' - 
from The Rocky Horror Picture Show



Random thoughts on my trip to England

It's cold, I knew it was cold but I'd forgotten how much! It snowed pretty much constantly since I arrived, luckily it didn't really settle so didn't cause any problems other than making me feel like I couldn't breathe when I was outside.

cold winter English garden 

Everything looked the same but different.

My friends have not changed one bit, they are still mad lovely and when we started talking it's like we had just seen each other last week.

I know the grey skies don't help but everywhere looks a little more rubbish than I remember,I noticed this in particular on my train journeys.

A four hour flight without kids but after having them is a much more pleasant experience than I realised  before I'd had them.

I'd forgotten how nice sleep was, and although I've only been back a couple of days its already a distant memory again!

It was nice to be back, briefly but I'm happy not to be living there all the time, as much as it would be fantastic to be able to see my friends all the time, it does not feel like home to me any more and after hearing my friends chatting I don't think they have much time to meet anyway now, I'm not used to such fast paced lives!

It was strange at time being without the boys but I can't say I missed them too much! I did think I 'should' have missed them more as everyone said  I would and many people seem to have problems leaving kids behind to have a night out or sleepover but I can cope just fine! This length of time was fine and I wasn't weeping into my pillow at night worrying about them. (I may have wondered if Aaron  was sitting rocking in the corner clutching a bottle of whisky but was sure he'd pretty much have it under control)

Overall, It would be great to be able to go back once a year (although highly unlikely to be possible) but  there's no place like home.

home is where the heart is

5 comments:

  1. i think you did brilliantly to be away for three days without your boys!!! 2 nights is my longest time away last may. had you been in Devon you would have seen blue skies last weekend !!! it sounds like a really wonderful catch up and i am so happy you caught up with your friends and i am sure you will get to do it again - maybe they can come to see you next time x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home is where the heart is, and yours most definitely lies in Cyprus. If your parents didn't live out there with you then I suspect that it may well be a different story about your attachment to your old home, but now everything you need (apart from Chinese and Primark) is out in Cyprus with you. And I can imagine that the weather out there is far more preferable than back here, even in the scorching heat of Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, most of my friends don't have their parents here and it is big pull back to England. I'm very lucky not to have that dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I'd been able to come to Devon to see the blue skies..... um I mean you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely missed this post! Sorry.
    It sounds, from the things that you learnt, that you have at least got the reassurance that moving to Cyprus was a good move. Especially as you say it doesn't feel like home anymore.
    I'm sure if it was me I would have just slept for the whole 4 days.

    I'm glad you had a great time with your friends. You certainly deserve it x

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails