Monday, 11 June 2012

Birth in Cyprus - Caesarean births

I'd heard that caesarean births are very common here in Cyprus and initially I was worried about having to have one when it might not be necessary. I have no problem at all if needed medically but would rather not unless it was unavoidable.  Here are two stories of C-sections which both happened to be at the Achillion Clinic in Limassol.  From the feedback I have received since asking for birth stories it still seems that more people choose to go private than use the General hospital, in many cases as if it's the only option?!


Tara's Story -
In response to your post, I had my son in 2008. I chose to go private as I had a strong dislike of the general hospital due to previous experiences, and as it was my first child I was naturally a bit scared and wanted to feel 100% looked after.

The total cost including scans, check ups, blood tests, birth and hospital stay was nearly €5000. I had a c- section which is around €1000 more than natural birth. I didn't want to have a section but my son stopped wasn't moving as much as he should have been towards the end and didn't seem to be getting into position. When he was born he had the cord around his neck 3 times which explained the above worries. I was a bit concerned to start with as I have heard that sections are very common here with a lot of women actually opting for them but in the end the decision from the doctor was correct in my case.

Both my doctor and the overall care I received in the hospital can not be faulted. Was spoken to in English, treated with respect and received fast and efficient care during the 3 days I stayed there.

If I have a second child I will most likely return to the same doctor and clinic.


BirthInCyprus

Nia's Story - 
I had my first child in Nov 2009. The cost of operation was about €2000. During pregnancy every month I had a check-up with my gynaecologist there, each visit cost €50 plus around €200-€300 for all necessary tests.

From the very beginning I decided that the birth will be via C-section, the doctor appointed the date - usually it is 2 weeks earlier that due date. The good thing was that I had local anaesthetic - epidural pain relief, so I was given possibility to meet my baby in this world, the doctors brought him to me for hug as soon as he came out. Another good thing was that our paediatrician (which we had chosen in advance) was attending the operation.

I stayed at hospital for 4 days, for C-section this is the normal period. Here I shall add that any movement and especially walking is quite painful in first 2 days, in total I needed one month to recover fully physically.
All staff in hospital spoke English, it is common for all hospitals, especially for private ones.

In general I shall note that I have not meet anybody here who was unhappy by deciding to give birth  at Cyprus.  Of course everything costs money, but here you usually get proper value.

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
    I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

    My web page ... flats to rent

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails