Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Keeping up with the kids!

Σ 'αγαπώ μαμά or μαμά μυρίζεις 


Which would rather your darling child wrote in your Mother's day card?   
It wasn't very long ago that I would have had no idea and would have assumed either was something nice.  I often joked that Leo would be coming home from school speaking Greek while we all smiled and said how clever he was when in reality he could be swearing and saying all sorts and we would have no idea!


Although we've been trying to teach Leo as much as we can at home, and taking him to Greek4Kids lessons, it's important to me to learn myself. 


I want to be able to understand letters and information sent home from his school.
I want to be able to help him with his home work.
I want to be able to talk to his teachers and not struggle to understand what is going on. 
I want to show him that learning other languages is a good thing to do and to make him feel at home - rather than a 'Brit abroad'


My parents are also learning, they attend a weekly lesson and also learn at home the same way as I do, with Rosetta Stone. I've written much about my experiences so far with the course, which are all good.  I've just got my Mum set up to use the program too - I think her original plan was to learn from Leo as he gets older but she's decided to get a head start! 


I'm sure she won't mind me saying but it's been a few years since she was at school, and learning new things does not come as easy as it once did.  We often joke about her mis-prouncing things and it's a family pastime to have a laugh and joke (in a nice way!) at her expense, but I must say I'm very impressed with how well she is doing. 


Considering the fact that it's not just learning a language, Greek has a whole new alphabet to contend with and from using Rosetta Stone she's actually seems to have overtaken my Dad with what she has learnt..... this is no mean feat as he has often been referred to as the 'font of all knowledge'!


We still get to laugh though as we hear the brilliant things that come into her head when trying to remember words.....
Αγγλικά  (Anglika)  - ugly car      being one that springs to mind!




In case you were wondering.......   
Σ 'αγαπώ μαμά  - I love you Mum
μαμά μυρίζεις  - Mum you smell!

(and I'm pleased to say I only had to Google it to double check the spellings!)


This is not a sponsored post - I received (and reviewed) the Rosetta Stone  program a while back and still love it! The opinons are all my own

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails