Friday, 30 March 2012

Flashback Friday - Happy Birthday Mum!

Today is my Mum's birthday so I'm dedicating this one to her and looking back at her surprise 60th birthday party!

I love arranging parties and when my Mum's 60th was approaching there was no way I was going to let it pass by quietly.  I knew that if asked Mum would not want big party and that going the whole hog with a party in a hall and lots of people would not be appreciated, so instead I arranged a small surprise party at our house. 

Mum was under the impression that the four of us (Mum & Dad, Aaron and I) were going our for a meal and we came up with a much discussed plan to make sure she believed this until the last moment.We told her in advance that we would pick them up so Dad could have a drink but was wondering how we could then explain driving back to our house!

In the end Aaron went to collect them on his own and told them I was not ready so they had to go back to pick me up, to add some realism to that Dad was a little 'annoyed'  as he hates people being late  (as do I was we hoped she'd conveniently forget that!)  a quick phone call on the way back meant Aaron could tell them I was still not ready and they should go indoors and have a quick drink whilst waiting for me.

Of course I was ready and was waiting with friends and family to surprise her!

There were about 15 of us altogether and as Mum entered I played Stevie Wonder's 'Happy Birthday to you' and everyone stepped out of the kitchen for the surprise..... and surprised she certainly was!

The party was a great success and everyone enjoyed themselves,  Mum got loads of lovely presents and cards, and ended up with more teddy bears than a toy shop!



This post is for my Flashback Friday, this week there is no theme - just go with whatever takes your fancy! . If you'd like to join in you can read all about it here. If you wish, grab the code for the badge to display on your post, the important part though is to come back and add your post to the linky, then visit some of the others for a lovely nostalgia fest!

FlashbackFriday
Grab my button
and join in

6 comments:

  1. What a well kept secret and a very special surprise it was, lovely memories of family and friends together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Joan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for linking me up as i can't do it for some reason!!

    wow what a lovely post for your mum on her birthday! i assume based on the cake you made yesterday, that you MUm loves teddy bears? does she collect them? it sounds like the surprise went well and a success - what a lovely way to celebrate her 60th xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me so much of my Mum's 70th. We probably don't stop to say thanks often enough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mum's a huge teddy bear fan, she doesn't collect them like she used to but it was getting a bit silly, poor Dad was getting lost in a sea of bears!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like she had a great time, I love surprising my mum with things like this.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails