Saturday, 4 February 2012

Discovering Cyprus - Agios Epiphanios

I'm not a religious person and visiting churches was never very high on my to do list. Although over the years I've been to many churches and cathedrals in various countries and although I've appreciated the scale and architecture of many I can never quite get the required level of excitement that they deserve.  I'm starting to enjoy it more now days,  whether it's a sign I'm getting old or because I don't get out as much is irrelevant!

Or of course it could be due to the fantastic views you can find from many churches here in Cyprus...


At the end of the summer we visited the church of Agios Epiphanios in the hills above Agia Napa, a chapel devoted to the Byzantine bishop of Salamis.  We had been here nearly two years before even realising this was here!
My parents discovered it accidentally while having a random drive about exploring and it's only since we have noticed a small sign pointing to it. 

I've not been able to find any more information on this place so it explains why we've managed to miss it for all this time. It's not a day out by any means but if you are in the area it's well worth stopping for a look. 


We took a lot of lovely photos while we were there, as Aaron got a bit arty with his posh camera!  You can see the others on my Cyprus photo blog. Leo had lots of fun too as we were the only people there and he had a good run around whilst enjoying looking at all the mosaics in the floor around the church.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails