Saturday, 19 November 2011

The week that went too fast

Last Sunday was an unusual day, I said 'see you later' to my friend Michelle and then went straight to the airport to meet my friend Larisa which was great timing as it cheered me up! I saw Larisa once last August when I was in the UK but Aaron hadn't seen her since we left almost 2 years ago and Leo wouldn't have remembered her. 

Leo loves to look at photos so in the week leading up to her arrival I showed him lots of photos so he knew who was coming. I think she was quite surprised he took to her straight away like he'd seen her every day of his life, even before she showered him with presents!


Regular readers (and fellow ex-pats) will know that one of my least favourite things about living in Cyprus is the lack of reasonably priced clothes (and toys, books, stickers among many other things) so Larisa had been gathering goodies for us for a while. I'd also been on ebay winning random items to be sent to her, I'm surprised she had any room left for her own clothes!

Before she booked Larisa said she was thinking of coming over in November or January, I suggested November as the weather would probably be better but unfortunately it rained for most of the time she was here. It meant we couldn't do most of the things we'd planned and there is not a lot to do in Cyprus when it rains. We managed to get out in the day a few times in the end but luckily she had come to see us rather than the sites as there was not much rain free time in the last week!

Leo absolutely loved Larisa and would not leave her alone for a second, it's a good job that with three nephews she is used to it and loves being 'Auntie 'risa'  All you heard all week was 'Come on 'risa I got an idea - come in my bedroom / sit on the floor / play Thomas / read this  and so on. Each morning he woke up and asked where she'd gone, to then get very excited when she appeared each day.


We tried to fit 2 years of gossip into her time here and I feel like I've been speaking for a week, chatting about all kinds of random rubbish is what we do best! It all seemed to go by too fast though and last night I had to take her back to the airport for her flight home. I don't do very well with 'goodbyes' so in my usual style I stopped at the drop of point and with a quick see you later was gone. I'm sure she won't be offended by that as it's pretty much what we said 2 years ago, and although it took a while is exactly what we did!


People come into your life and people go.
But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart, 
And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away.
Carrie Bradshaw,  Sex and The City.

7 comments:

  1. Being expat myself, I also have friends who are a plane ride away - it's hard. On the other hand I am expremely lucky to have some childhood friends here in Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am contemplating moving to Cyprus within the next two years and this is one reason I am holding back!  I love the lifestyle but cry when I send my visitors or family back when they go home before us when we are on holiday!  Can't imagine what it will be like if we don't see them for a long time - suppose you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet it feels quiet at home now then :( 
    still its almost christmas so that will take your mind of her going home. 
    that quote from SATC is so true and a great choice for this post xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always so lovely to see old friends - especially if they bring goodies from home! Love that inspirational quotes nowadays come from Sex and the City!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You get used to it in between visits but it's always hard, especially as my friends are not always very good at keeping in touch online.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forget what it's like in between visits but it's always so hard when they go. must be nice to have some childhood friends near you though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SATC has some brilliant quotes!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails