Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Onion Marmalade - Creating Christmas

Last night, feeling particularly organised  I decided to start the first of my Christmas cooking, I love cooking and particularly enjoy preparing things for Christmas, as a child I always looked forward to making Cheese Straws and Mince pies with my Mum, always to the sound of carols so it's usually the start of the festive season for me. 

I decided it was a little too early to break out the Christmas CD so instead I opted for wine and Strictly Come Dancing on the TV in the background... obviously Aaron was out so I had control of the TV!

Some time ago I found a recipe for Onion Marmalde and thought it would be nice to go with cold meat and cheeses over Christmas. Aaron introduced me to the brilliant Boxing Day tradition of this meal and we always used to get some sort of onion relish.  You can buy it here in Cyprus but there is not a huge choice and it's not usually very cheap so I thought I'd give it a go.

Despite collecting jam jars for a while and ordering a pack of wax discs and jar covers from Ebay, once I started drinking wine cooking the marmalade I realised that I didn't actually have any idea what to do with them.... 

It's a really simple recipe.....

110g butter
900g Onions thinly sliced
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
75ml sherry or red wine vinegar
2 tbsp grenadine or creme de cassis
1/2 bottle of red wine or less (or more if you are anything like me!) to taste

Melt the butter in a medium pan and add the onions.  Add the sugar and seasoning, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add the vinegar, red wine and grenadine, cook uncovered over a low heat stirring when necessary until the sauce thickens and bubbles slowly.

Then get a bit confused about what to do with the wax discs and the cellophane bits that came in the jam jar kit and tweet frantically to anyone who'd listen trying to find out. 

Feel relived when you notice The Boy and Me online and bombard her with silly questions until you kinda figure it out!

I sterilised the jars in the oven (after quick Google search to find that out - jars on tray at low heat for 20 mins)  and then spooned the hot mixture into the hot jars.   (and all over the worktop and down the sides but that wasn't part of the plan)

Wax discs onto the top then cover with the cellophane and seal with an elastic band - voila!

I would have taken more photos if I had remembered - spot the wine glass in the picture!

To see the other 'Creating Christmas' posts click the badge below

CreatingChristmas

3 comments:

  1. Mm this sounds delicious - I'd definitely serve it with a cheese platter. And I love that Boxing Day tradition of the clod cuts and cheeses. Of course we don't actually do Christmas but I'm sure I fit all this stuff into our festivals somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think you may have to let me taste test this before you release it for public consumption lol! Also is it me or do I recognise that gingerbread man hehe! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes you may indeed recognise hin ;)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails