Monday, 7 November 2011

Health & Fitness...

I've never been a fan of sports or going to the gym, from my school days until only recent years I would go out of my way to avoid doing even the smallest amount of exercise,  I was the big kid in the class, the one always picked last in games and I used to dread every PE lesson. This stayed with me as I grew up and would miss out on lots of things with my friends, on summer Sundays we'd all go to the park and while they played rounders or volleyball I'd sit in the sun making jokes about how that was too much like hard work and I was busy getting a tan or drinking a beer but really I didn't have the confidence to join in and was worried they'd laugh as I got too out of breath running around.

Only as I lost weight did I discover that I could actually exercise and not die.... although MY GOD did it kill me at the time I was stunned to see how much easier it all became as the pounds dropped off and I got stronger. For about  year I regularly did exercise DVDs at home and later pilates classes at my local gym but I never felt like I really got to a 'good' level of fitness, I usually took the easier option and was worried about hurting myself (as I frequently did) and thought if I kept at it I'd eventually be able to do the advanced workouts. 

But I stopped doing it, and fell back into my old thinking that I don't 'do' exercise and I'm not at all fit!  But last week a new studio - MG Health & Fitness opened in Protaras and I was invited for a fitness assessment. 

To be honest, I was not really looking forward to it, but I was excited about trying out the large range of classes and thought it was probably a good place to start.   I'm pleased to report I survived....even the run up the hill to test my heart rate with ex-army instructor Mike! Overall the assessment went well, but I clearly need to work on my cardio activity as my heart rate is worse than my Dads!  

Claire and Mike who run the studio are very thorough with the assessment and also go to great lengths to explain that their aim is to advise you on your fitness goal
s but not to try and sell you their classes. They told me what types of exercise I should aim for to improve my general fitness and achieve the goals I set myself and explain how I could do that with or without them.  I do however seem to have agreed to try at least one of every class they run..... including Boot Camp!   (this is not one of my better ideas.... did I mention that Mike is an ex-army instructor!!)

Joking aside, I am looking forward to getting stuck into some regular exercise and I love the community feel of the studio, they have a friendly facebook group and I think will be very successful.  I am aiming to not just lose a few pounds.. although am looking forward to getting into my best jeans, but also to get stronger and healthier.   I'll let you know how I get on!


This is not a sponsored post, I recieved a fitness assessment but have not been asked to write this post, and the views and opinions are all my own. 


3 comments:

  1. I've always fancied getting a fitness test just to see how fit I really am - I love to run but it's fairly sporadic and I don't have much upper body strength etc. Hope it's going well for you! Thanks for submitting this to Love All Blogs Fitness Showcase! Cx 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well its just a matter of time before you get the hang of it. You could probably take a look at my site and get more healthy info. Its  A Clean & healthy lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you and good luck with all this exercise. I'm happy toread about it (with the stress on the word ;read' :) ).

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails