Monday, 15 August 2011

Holidays are here!

Today, 15th August is an important public holiday in Cyprus. Assumption Day, a feast day related to the death of Mary, mother of Jesus. Legend has it that when she died her body as well as her soul went straight to heaven. I'm not 100% sure but I believe this day is the second most holy day of the year for the Greek Orthodox church. 

It marks the start of the standard August shut down. Most places (not tourist obviously) shut down for at least a week if not two and everyone seems to be on the move. Brits and other ex-pats often escape the soaring temperatures and head 'home' for a while and many Cypriots leave the capital and head to the coast.

We are staying put and holidaying at home, Aaron has two weeks off work and we are going to join the tourists. We have pool and beach trips planned plus a few nights out and of course a celebration for our 7th wedding anniversary. 

I plan to take a little blogging break, and maybe even talk to Aaron in the evenings rather than people I've never met on twitter :)  I'm sure I won't be able to resist for the whole two weeks, although I am going to have a whole internet free day to enable me to tick another item off my 101 list.  I'm not abandoning you though dear readers I have some great guest posts lined up for you to enjoy. 


I'll be back with tales of our 'holiday' before you know it  xxx

1 comment:

  1. Yay another tick - enjoy your relaxation time!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails