Thursday, 2 June 2011

Playdough Playtime!

When it comes to art and crafts activities (in other words messy) activities I must admit I'm not the most enthusiastic of mothers. I have very little patience and this does not sit well with short toddler attention spans and an very independent little man who doesn't like to be helped with anything!

I'm trying to make much more of an effort with introducing new activities so when I saw a playdough recipe in this months Daxi Magazine (local lifestyle magazine here in Cyprus) I thought it would be a good place to start.

I've only made playdough once and it didn't really go to plan, may have been the heat here but after just a few minutes of playing it turned into a big sticky mess, this recipie however was excellent and really easy to make.

All you need is
2 cups Plain flour
1 cup fine sea salt
2tblsp Cream of tartar
2tblsp sunflower oil
5 drops lavender essential oil (I didn't have any so used vanilla for a nice fragrance instead)
2 cups water
Food colouring

Making it is simple - measure all the dry ingredients (sieve flour to remove any lumps) then in a heatproof bowl add the oils and 2 cups of boiling water. Mix well until it forms a ball.
Add the food colouring (wearing rubber gloves is strongly advised!) and knead the dough until it's all mixed in.
Store in an airtight container and if it dries you can re-hydrate it by adding a couple of drops of water.


It was a definite hit with Leo, we played for over half an hour with it before he wanted to mush it into the sofa! I planned to take some video of him rolling and 'squidging' but he kept saying 'cheese (camera) away, Mummy play)

So we did, he laughed his head off as he squidged the dough between his fingers and liked making 'wiggly worms' by rolling long thin pieces. His favourite thing though was to make heart and star shapes with some cutters.

I even managed to get him to put it nicely back in the box without a fight when he had decided there had been enough playing for now. (although I may have promised lunch when it had all been put away!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this playdough recipe - I've only ever made it once and it wasn't great so I may give this a try.  Looks like Leo is loving it :)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails