Wednesday, 6 April 2011

A mothers love

A Mother's love is understanding, it is unconditional and lasts forever. It also means that you can carry a wooden spoon halfway across the world.

Back in 1980-something this was the gift I gave my Mum for Mother's Day
It was made by me, at Brownies. All the girls were given a wooden spoon each, lump of blue tack and some flowers. A very simple idea which was then given the finishing touch of a piece of ribbon through the hole at the top so it could be hung on the wall.

It was hung on the kitchen wall, where it stayed until my parents moved house and was then placed into it's new home on a new kitchen wall. This week it has been unpacked and is awaiting it's new place on a kitchen wall in Cyprus. Mum said she there was no way it couldn't go back up.

I wonder if any of the other spoons from that Brownie meeting are still going strong?



This week's Gallery entry is Mother Love, click the badge to see the other entries

8 comments:

  1. That is so sweet, great photo of you and your mum too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post! I do hope those other spoons are still going strong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! I collect wooden spoons too! Brill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AlexanderResidence9 October 2012 at 20:44

    That's a lovely thought and a gorgeous picture of your mum, I have been wracking my brains trying to rememember what homemade gifts we used to make. Rose petals in jam jars as perfume I think. I have all these homemade treats to look forward to, they really are what Mother's Day is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely spoon! How much a simple home made gift has meant to your mum over the years. So lovely that your parents will be living so close to you and your family nw :) the photo of the pair of you is gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant, my Mum is rather like that has has some fantastic "Creations" which have to be displayed. Love the photo of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly where my spoon will hang on the wall, for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful story, it would be so cool to find out if any of the other spoons were still around.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails