Saturday, 27 November 2010

What a difference a year makes.....

This post was published way back in 2010 but I'm sharing it again Jenny & Lauren's Flashback Friday


This time last year it was our third day  in our new home,  and our apartment looked like this....

Our bedroom!

We were very lucky that are stuff arrived so fast, as we only had the contents of 3 suitcases which is not that helpful when you have a 6 month old baby. Also in the container of our things was Leo's cot, hence why he spent his first night in Cyprus like this....

He seemed slightly confused when he woke up but not too bothered! 

Unpacking didn't take too long, although a year later I'm still occasionally moving things about that weren't quite right. I think we settled in reasonably quickly considering we didn't just move a few miles down the road. We were very lucky in meeting people very quickly, and in the fact that AJ joined the local pool team straight away helped this as well. 

The first few month were strange, especially for me once AJ started work, I didn't have a car to start with and the weather wasn't always great for walking around aimlessly.  It seemed strange that there was an empty apartment waiting for my parents and it seemed a lifetime until they would arrive. 

But, it didn't take long in the scheme of things to become home. The sun came out, and it got warm - much harder (not impossible but harder) to be unhappy when it's lovely and warm outside. I started to meet even more people and have a few things to do during the days. I also got used to looking after Leo on my own and doing my own housework again (there's big advantages to living with your parents for a year!)

It's been an interesting year, sometimes great, sometimes hard but overall a good one I think. I don't have any desire to go back to the UK, and I am one of the few people out here who doesn't call the UK home. It will always be the place I grew up and I will at some point go back for another visit ( although I feel no need to rush back!)  but Cyprus is now my home and we have no plans to live anywhere else. 

11 comments:

  1. Your son is seriously cute in that suitcase! Brillant idea with limited resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home looks beautiful....and 12 years later we're STILL moving things around XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what you can achieve in a year!

    I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary on your first year in Cyprus, wishing you, Aaron and Leo all the very best for the future. Your blog does looks very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great that you've had such a brilliant year and it really feels like home.
    And I really love that suitcase picture! What a great place to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I've popped over from Weekend Rewind. Love the title of your blog and the sentiment behind it. I love the fact that you took the chance to move and now love where you are living. What a cute photo - Mums are so inventive. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just love your little man in his suitcase bed....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the baby in the suitcase shot - it's gorgeous! What a long way for you to move.... and it sounds like you're loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It will be easy for Leo, he won't remember any other home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow - look how settled you are now! I must admit that I LOVE the baby in the suitcase.

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could hAve sworn I saw this before and commented but clearly I didn't!! The pic of Leo in the suitcase is soooooo adorable! Good idea though! I do like your kitchen island with the stools it looks great. It is amazing what can be achieved
    Thanks for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails