Sunday, 7 November 2010

The best thing I ever did.... Part 1

This is a post I have been meaning to write for some time, it is about the best thing I ever did so I was trying to think of the best way to do it justice, I've pondered for some time but have come up with no brilliant ideas so I thought I'd just get on with it!

Let me take you back to early 2006.....
My Dad said to me one day "Guess what I'm doing tomorrow night? I looked at him blankly, he replied "Going to Slimming World"  Well to say I was surprised is an understatement, 
1.My Dad is (and I'm sure he won't mind we saying so, although to be fair he is getting better!) the fussiest person with food I know and I assumed that "going on a diet" would mean eating things that he would want to. 
2. At the risk of sounding completely sexist, he's a man and men generally don't do slimming clubs (so I thought)
3. I didn't think he really needed to lose much weight, ok maybe a pound or two if he wanted to but not the amount I would have expected someone to join a club for. 

It had come about  whilst talking to his neighbour who had decided to go along at the start of January, in a moment of madness Dad agreed to go with him.  He told me roughly how it works and what you can and can't eat (that's nothing by the way, EVERYTHING is fine in moderation) and I was quite surprised. 

I went away thinking about all this and felt a bit panicked to be honest, what if it actually worked and he lost weight,  when it was me who needed to more than anyone. I had thought in passing over the years about going on a diet but "I wasn't fat, I was big boned"  yes dear readers it is true - if you say something often enough you do believe it.

I was fat, there is no point faffing about, I had always been bigger than most of my friends and it was slowly but surely getting worse. I had been 12 stone at the age of 12, and by the age of 28 I was usually buying size 20 clothes.  I genuinely thought though that I couldn't do a lot about it. 

You know the BMI charts, the ones that you plot your height and weight and it tells you that you are about to die, I looked at one of those and it said I needed to lose 4 stone....4 STONE, how stupid I thought there's no way I could lose that much without cutting off a leg or something equally drastic.  My BMI was 32 by the way, recommended is between 20 and 25.

But despite the fact I thought I would never be a perfect size I thought I'd give it a go, maybe I could actually lose a couple of pounds or something and perhaps even drop a dress size.



Me in 2004 pre Slimming World
 So in January 2006, I went to join my local Slimming World, more for something to do than anything else, I thought at least if I go and it doesn't work then I've tried and can continue being overweight in the knowledge that it is not my fault.

If you saw my recent post "A photo I'm proud of" you will know how this story ends but check back soon for details of how I got to that point.

Edit - Read part 2 here

6 comments:

  1. I wish I had some of your strength and will power x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought in a million years I'd be able to lose even 1/2 stone, so if I can do it anyone can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the post you put on Kate's Bligh a couple of weeks ago so I know you did really well n this diet. I will be joining slimming world later in the year to help shift the baby weight, as I know a few people who found success on it. I havecalways been told I am not fat just big boned! I am not huge but I am over weight.
    Well done you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That should have said blog not Bligh! Typos grrrrrr x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, SW is a brilliant plan, it's designed to be a long term thing too so you don't have to keep putting it all back on again.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails