Monday, 21 June 2010

What I miss the most

The thing I miss the most I didn't even use in the UK. For years I had planned and pictured life with a baby and a big part of that picture was Mother and baby groups and various activities. Don't get me wrong I am not the "pushy mother" type - I'm just the organised mother type who likes a but of structure to my week!

When Leo was born I looked up all that was available, most things at the time he was too young for, and then at 6 months we moved. I could have gone to "Baby bounce and Rhyme time", Music groups, baby sing and sign, Mother and baby meets, baby sensory....the list is endless.

After hours of trawling the internet I eventually found one, yep just one baby group here.Jingle Jangles - a music group for 6months to 3 years. I joined in March and loved it, problem is at 35 euro a month for an hour a week now we have more month than money (more musing about that later!) it's an activity I cannot justify doing. It is a great group and I met several Mums who I got on well with and had similar age children, I kept saying it was the best money I had spent whilst being here for that reason alone.

I need to get over it but I'm so sad we have had to stop, Leo was just starting to join in with the actions and learning how to use the instruments. I realise this is going to make my week seem a bit lame but it really was a highlight - something I had been planning in some ways for years.

I've been searching again for some cheaper alternatives......NOTHING! On our side of the island there is just one solitary organised thing to do, either that or the promotion for them is worse than rubbish if I managed to miss itin my endless searching . Heading to Limassol or Paphos there is more but they are not a sensible distance to travel for a couple of hours on a regular basis.

I'm not sure what the answer is, I would love to arrange something but don't know where to start.

4 comments:

  1. Most communities have facilities that they would be more than happy to either rent out or give for free to groups/societies in their area, perhaps even talk to local clergy, they may be more than willing to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-I followed over from Jens..Have you thought about contacting some of the moms from the group? Perhaps you could all make an informal group up..where you could meet once a week to get your little ones together-AND socialize with some of the other mothers..good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I see it's now six months down the track and I'm wondering if anything's changed. Were you able to track down the mums from the group and start your own weekly playgroup, just meeting up at someone's house or in a park? I know nothing about Cyprus so can't wait to check out the rest of your blog and find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, I have now arranged a monthly meet up at a soft play place and there are a few of us who regularly meet at the local park. I think someone is missing a trick here though - it could do with some more organised activities for little ones (and big ones!)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..

Related Posts with Thumbnails